UNC vs Terps 2/25

AgentOrange

I am not saying UNC is underachieving because they lost this game...Just mean overall. My guess is you would have never felt they would lose 4 of their first 14 ACC games, would you?

I think that 12-4 in the conference for this team would be very good. Again, not to keep repeating this, but three freshman starters, and the bench guys, while talented are mostly Second year guys. They're a very young team who lost a few games they probably should've won. They should have won tonight and last week at home vs Va Tech. The other two losses they just got outplayed. Tonight they didnt make plays down the stretch, missed two layups and 9 free throws in the second half. The difference tonight was Maryland's experience over our youth. So no, I wont say they're underacheiving. If they were 7-7, yes, but not 10-4, and #5 in the polls. Did I mention the three Freshman starters.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am aware it is tough to win on the road.

But this is the best team in the conference and by far the most talented. Even you said it would be a pretty bad if the Heels didn't win the ACC regular season title.

The Heels are 9-3 against the RPI top 50. They are a very good team, they were just beaten by a hotter team right now. Your team is heating up and that Wednesday game should be great, lets just hope the players determine the outcome and not the refs.;)

When the rankings come out tomorrow do you think we'll be number one, or will they ditch the rankings altogether and declare us greatest team of all time?

Also did you guys see Gary get choked up in the post game interview? I love him, I love MD, I love life.

This man pretty much said it all right here.

Wow. What a game. Every bit as exciting as I hoped. I basically lost my sh!t about five different times in this one, but luckily the last time was at the buzzer.

Best of all is that UNC played a great game up until the end, when, as Beaner said, MD made plays and UNC didn't. But the Heels were just unconscious shooting for much of the game, and took advantage of every single defensive lapse that we made. We just found it in us, and I couldn't be more proud of this team. Osby looks like he suddenly learned how to play in the last four games, it's amazing. Everyone got after the glass, big time. There were a few defensive miscues here and there (especially in transition), but we were able to stay with the Heels in the half court, which I was pretty amazed by.

So I don't think anyone can say that UNC stunk it up, and this win doesn't mean anything. They played 38 minutes of amazing basketball, but we played 40. Simple as that. But UNC is not to be taken lightly, they're an outstanding team. If G & I hadn't been in foul trouble, and if we hadn't turned the ball over as much as we did, I'd even say we played perfectly. But this is close enough for me.

I'm pretty pumped for the next month and a half. We have two good PGs (although Hayes turned it over way too much tonight), Straw and Jones are playing as well as they ever have, and we now have THREE legit big men and a seven-footer who can give up 5 fouls. Right now, I'll take my chances against pretty much anyone. And a month ago, I never expected that I'd be saying that right now.

I'm pretty pumped for the next month and a half. We have two good PGs (although Hayes turned it over way too much tonight), Straw and Jones are playing as well as they ever game, and we now have THREE legit big men and a seven-footer who can give up 5 fouls. Right now, I'll take my chances against pretty much anyone. And a month ago, I never expected that I'd be saying that right now.

I was so proud of Mike Jones tonight. He was not hitting anything from the outside the whole game, and then just before they started their run, he had a wide open three that he takes 10 times out of 10 and he passed it up. I've seen him do this a few times before where he gets afraid to shoot, but then he got the same open look the next time down the court and hit it. Really the start of the run right there, cut the lead to 7 and then DJ hit a 3 to cut it to 4. And the whole time that Jones wasn't hitting 3-pointers, he was driving and coming off the curl and hitting short jumpers or floaters. He and DJ really powered the ball to the hoop in a lot of situations where we absolutely needed a score. I think that was the only 3 that Jones hit the whole game, but I was just so proud that he found ways to make it work.

In fact, I was proud of all the seniors tonight. Like I said, DJ found a way to put the ball in the basket several times when we absolutely needed some sort of score, and without looking anything up, I'm pretty sure that 27 was a career high. And Ibekwe is probably the most criticized of this senior class, but he stepped up and played with a lot of heart during that run. He showed emotion I've never seen him show before and hit those free throws when he needed to. These guys have found a way to turn things around in their last weeks in College Park, and they might save their reputation yet.

This man pretty much said it all right here.

Wow. What a game. Every bit as exciting as I hoped. I basically lost my sh!t about five different times in this one, but luckily the last time was at the buzzer.

Best of all is that UNC played a great game up until the end, when, as Beaner said, MD made plays and UNC didn't. But the Heels were just unconscious shooting for much of the game, and took advantage of every single defensive lapse that we made. We just found it in us, and I couldn't be more proud of this team. Osby looks like he suddenly learned how to play in the last four games, it's amazing. Everyone got after the glass, big time. There were a few defensive miscues here and there (especially in transition), but we were able to stay with the Heels in the half court, which I was pretty amazed by.

So I don't think anyone can say that UNC stunk it up, and this win doesn't mean anything. They played 38 minutes of amazing basketball, but we played 40. Simple as that. But UNC is not to be taken lightly, they're an outstanding team. If G & I hadn't been in foul trouble, and if we hadn't turned the ball over as much as we did, I'd even say we played perfectly. But this is close enough for me.

I'm pretty pumped for the next month and a half. We have two good PGs (although Hayes turned it over way too much tonight), Straw and Jones are playing as well as they ever have, and we now have THREE legit big men and a seven-footer who can give up 5 fouls. Right now, I'll take my chances against pretty much anyone. And a month ago, I never expected that I'd be saying that right now.

Great post, Stallion. You're right on, Maryland deserved this win, and like you said, Carolina played great too. This is a win that should propel you guys back into the top 25 and shouldn't hurt us much either.

I was so proud of Mike Jones tonight. He was not hitting anything from the outside the whole game, and then just before they started their run, he had a wide open three that he takes 10 times out of 10 and he passed it up. I've seen him do this a few times before where he gets afraid to shoot, but then he got the same open look the next time down the court and hit it. Really the start of the run right there, cut the lead to 7 and then DJ hit a 3 to cut it to 4. And the whole time that Jones wasn't hitting 3-pointers, he was driving and coming off the curl and hitting short jumpers or floaters. He and DJ really powered the ball to the hoop in a lot of situations where we absolutely needed a score. I think that was the only 3 that Jones hit the whole game, but I was just so proud that he found ways to make it work.

In fact, I was proud of all the seniors tonight. Like I said, DJ found a way to put the ball in the basket several times when we absolutely needed some sort of score, and without looking anything up, I'm pretty sure that 27 was a career high. And Ibekwe is probably the most criticized of this senior class, but he stepped up and played with a lot of heart during that run. He showed emotion I've never seen him show before and hit those free throws when he needed to. These guys have found a way to turn things around in their last weeks in College Park, and they might save their reputation yet.

Yeah, all the seniors played their butts off tonight. If they can lead us to a decent tourney run, that'll go a long way towards erasing the memory of the past two years. Too bad it took them this long, but better late than never, eh?

Thanks for a little bit of help, Terps. Great, great game.

Does this just make me entirely bitter that we blew the game at Miami and would be alone in first place right now if we would have won that. No. I'm not bitter at all. Not even a little bit.

Anyways, Strawberry played like a man posessed tonight. He was absolutely outstanding tonight. Best game he has ever played IMO.

That was also the most I've seen Hansbrough whine to the refs. beaner, what was up with that? He doesn't normally do that does he? Seems like he got worked up a couple times.

Great post, Stallion. You're right on, Maryland deserved this win, and like you said, Carolina played great too. This is a win that should propel you guys back into the top 25 and shouldn't hurt us much either.
You guys have nothing to regret about this one. I think this Heels team is just as talented as the title team of a couple years ago. Ellington is better now than Redick was at his age. I sincerely hope that he, Hansbrough and Lawson decide to leave, because I don't want to see those guys anymore!

Everyone on that floor played their butts off, we just did a little better.

Does this just make me entirely bitter that we blew the game at Miami and would be alone in first place right now if we would have won that. No. I'm not bitter at all. Not even a little bit.
Oh, crap, we helped UVA?! I take it back, I wish we had lost! :P

And about that Miami thing...yeah. We know how you feel. Trust me.

Thanks for a little bit of help, Terps. Great, great game.

Anyways, Strawberry played like a man posessed tonight. He was absolutely outstanding tonight. Best game he has ever played IMO.

That was also the most I've seen Hansbrough whine to the refs. beaner, what was up with that? He doesn't normally do that does he? Seems like he got worked up a couple times.

He has become a bit more of a "drama queen" of late. He gets beat up pretty bad inside most nights, although nothing I would call extreme by any means.

Should be a fun ACC tourney, no matter who wins the regular season title.

I said they are beginning to underachieve. They should be getting better right now and that hasn't been the case IMO.

Not as underachieving as a team with 6 McDonalds All-Americans who claims they don't have enough talent. ;)

UNC just went into one of their typical no-defense playing funks at the end. I smell an early exit for them in the tourney. They are just too inconsistent on the defensive end, and it's going to bite them.

Early in the year, MD was 1-4 in conference and had no huge wins. At the time, it was a statement to laugh at.

Right now, the 2 teams are pretty equal.

You can admit that this is the LEAST talented Duke team since the Ricky Price, Chris Collins, Greg Newton era? We're used to Duke having the best starting 5 in America with a bench that kills them come tourney time. Other than McRoberts who scares you on that team? They win with defense. There's no way we should be tied with them. They've overachieved due to, and it kills me to say it, great coaching.

The Refs let that fool Bowers hack the crap out of him. That happens to any other "star" in the country, and you'd see a lot more complaining than that.

This is one of the happiest moments I have had as a terps fan, and no I am not being cliche or over emotional. They NEVER gave up, even with 7 minutes to go and down 12. I couldn't even watch the TV, but it was shocking to watch Ibekwe make his free throws, strawberry play one of the best games of his career, and Osby step up huge. It was like watching something I had always hoped would happen that finally did.

Yes, the national championship was better (but certainly not a better game), and some will say the heels gave it away with their free throw shooting, but I don't care. The terps wanted this game more, they earned it. There have been a lot of us on here critical of the way the team has performed this year, myself included. I can honestly say however, seeing the effort they put in tonight removed any doubt that this team is for real. Gary Williams loves this school and this program and I can't believe we were even talking about removing him (again myself included). I am so excited to see where we go from here, because I fully believe we can beat ANYBODY

Archived