In a fight for his spot on the roster, Flaherty steps up.

wildcard

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not so sure Flaherty has been in a fight for a roster spot. He might start at 2B while Schoop goes to Norfolk. But I doubt his UTIF spot has been in much jeopardy.

I agree with this 100%. I do not think Flaherty has ever been in a position to lose his spot on the roster.

I'm not so sure Flaherty has been in a fight for a roster spot. He might start at 2B while Schoop goes to Norfolk. But I doubt his UTIF spot has been in much jeopardy.

Interesting. Frobby had Cabrera slightly ahead in the competition for the UIF spot just a few days ago. He hasn't been alone in that opinion. I would think that means there is/was a competition.

Interesting. Frobby had Cabrera slightly ahead in the competition for the UIF spot just a few days ago. He hasn't been alone in that opinion. I would think that means there is/was a competition.
Frobby isn't Buck. The first thing the UTIF must be able to do is play solid defense at all 3 positions. Flaherty continues too do this and Cabrera has yet to look steady at 2B or SS and has said himself he can't play 3B.

And he has out hit Cabrera .290 .371 .419 .791 to .250 .333 .375 .708, not that that means all that much. Cabrera might stay if they put Lough on the DL, or they send Schoop down and start Flaherty at 2B.

I agree with this 100%. I do not think Flaherty has ever been in a position to lose his spot on the roster.

Spring just does not mean much to veterans with the Orioles. It's just practice. And Flaherty is absolutely one of the veterans.

Frobby isn't Buck. The first thing the UTIF must be able to do is play solid defense at all 3 positions. Flaherty continues too do this and Cabrera has yet to look steady at 2B or SS and has said himself he can't play 3B.

And he has out hit Cabrera .290 .371 .419 .791 to .250 .333 .375 .708, not that that means all that much. Cabrera might stay if they put Lough on the DL, or they send Schoop down and start Flaherty at 2B.

First point. Are you sure Frobby is not Buck?

Second point. You are describing who is winning the competition. I was just saying that they was a competition which your post seem to support.

I think it should be Schoop who goes down. I'm a believer, but extra at-bats in AAA isn't going to hurt him. Plus I think it's prudent to get that extra year of service time. Eventually, one of Machado, Flaherty, Cabrera and/or Hardy will get inured and he'll have a place to play. Even if we send him down, I'm guessing he'll get at least 300 MLB at-bats.

Former all-star vs. decent utility player. If its down to the two, its Cabrera. Sending Flaherty down for regular ABs isn't a bad thing.

Former all-star who hasn't played 2B in years and has yet to show he can play it well this spring vs utility player who Buck thought well enough of to play 3B, SS and 2B for a team that made the playoffs.

Cabrera has a chance to beat out Flaherty but he hasn't done it yet. And he has a ways to go to prove he can. He also has to prove he can do well without the steroids he was using when he because an all-star.

Archived