The Steven Souza Follies

Frobby

Jeez this guy displayed terrible fundamentals today. He turned the wrong way at 1B and got caught in a rundown, and I counted three times that he failed to call off James Loney on pop flies. Good luck with that, Tampa.

Jeez this guy displayed terrible fundamentals today. He turned the wrong way at 1B and got caught in a rundown, and I counted three times that he failed to call off James Loney on pop flies. Good luck with that, Tampa.

And I thought Wil Myers was bad.

It's a tough place to play, especially for OFers. It'll take awhile to get used to it. Do they play any spring training games there? It might suit them well to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First base and the turn toward second are standard park to park, though ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The TB commentators love him - so I expect he will improve to Ben Zobrist proportions as he grows into his job. Heard it here first....:slytf:

Souza's big claim to fame is saving Jordan Zimmermann's no-hitter with a spectacular catch with two outs in the bottom of the 9th last year on the final day of the regular season.

I know the Rays are counting on him to step up, but yesterday he was not impressive.

Souza's big claim to fame is saving Jordan Zimmermann's no-hitter with a spectacular catch with two outs in the bottom of the 9th last year on the final day of the regular season.
I know the Rays are counting on him to step up, but yesterday he was not impressive.

Wow! That was him? I saw that too but not live! Impressive - I thought he played Snider's double well....and I expect another Ben Z/Matt Joyce/Brandon Guyer clone to torment us incessantly.

Did you see Wil Myers in centerfield? San. Diego.

I remember when some of us on the board (including me) were intrigued by the guy as a possible cheap trade target in the OF. We're going to see whether the guy's ML caliber this year as an opponent.

After we lost Snider the first time I was in on the Souza Jr. sweepstakes.

This game will humble you, but it's just one game. Sousa was probably too up for it - and it might be good to get this out of his system on opening day. I wish him well - he's really earned a shot to be a major leaguer.

This game will humble you, but it's just one game. Sousa was probably too up for it - and it might be good to get this out of his system on opening day. I wish him well - he's really earned a shot to be a major leaguer.

He certainly fits in the category of a late bloomer. His first five seasons in the minors, ages 18-22, he did absolutely nothing ; in fact, his lackluster 2011 season in High A earned him a demotion to the Sally League for 2012 at age 23. But he hit his way back to High A for the last part of 2012, then had a .953 OPS in AA at age 24 and a 1.022 in AAA at age 25. Talk about rising from the ashes! He didn't hit much in his short stint for the Nats at the end of last season, but we'll see how he does with regular playing time. I'll certainly root for him when the Rays are playing the other AL East teams....

Archived