I thoroughly enjoyed Big Baby getting tossed

Frobby

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He was suspended for 1 game, and fined:

Boston's David Ortiz has received a 1-game suspension and fine for making contact with the home-plate umpire on Sunday.

Ortiz has elected to appeal.

https://twitter.com/MLB_PR/status/590599049268568064

Well, my rather sarcastic bet was no punishment. One game is an absolute joke, and I can see that quietly disappear in an appeal. BTW, what is the point of the new pace of the game rules, if they still let Ortiz waddle around outside the batter's box?

Boston's David Ortiz has received a 1-game suspension and fine for making contact with the home-plate umpire on Sunday.

How in the name of Zeus can you possibly appeal a one game suspension for bumping an umpire. You can't appeal the length because it's the minimum. And as to whether it happened?

"Did he physically contact you during that occurrence in Sunday's game?"

"Yes."

"Appeal denied."

I mean, really?

Thanks for the update. To be honest, it was very minor contact. I think MLB has been pretty wimpy about dealing out punishments for touching instead of a clear "bump".

How in the name of Zeus can you possibly appeal a one game suspension for bumping an umpire. You can't appeal the length because it's the minimum. And as to whether it happened?

"Yes."

"Appeal denied."

I mean, really?

My guess is he will drop the appeal the next time the Red Sox face a decent left handed starter.

"Yes."

"Appeal denied."

I mean, really?

How great would it be if they made his suspension even longer after his appeal. Except I don't think that will ever happen.

"Yes."

"Appeal denied."

I mean, really?

I believe that a player has a right to appeal almost any suspension, under any circumstance(s), regardless of how clear it may appear to be that the suspension is warranted.

Even if it is clear that the player does not have a case, the appeal delays the suspension, and allows the player to continue playing until the appeal is heard and ruled upon.

I think that Roberto Alomar appealed his suspension for spitting in John Hirshbeck's face in 1996, which allowed him to continue playing in the Orioles' last few regular season games that year (plus the playoffs, because at that time, regular season suspensions did not affect a player's postseason eligibility. That rule has since been changed.)

Well, my rather sarcastic bet was no punishment. One game is an absolute joke, and I can see that quietly disappear in an appeal. BTW, what is the point of the new pace of the game rules, if they still let Ortiz waddle around outside the batter's box?

One game is a Joke. Agreed.

Ortiz is a jerk. In all fairness, it probably should be pointed out he and his wife were going through a divorce in 2013 when he attacked the phone. They have since reconciled.

Maybe he's having trouble at home again. I'm not making any excuse for his behavior - he should be fined and suspended - but people sometimes don't act normally if there is marriage trouble.

Archived