I thoroughly enjoyed Big Baby getting tossed

Frobby

Palmer disagrees about the Hall

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/the_rob_rogers">@the_rob_rogers</a> don't bet on it ..remember the 2003 drug test</p>— Jim Palmer (@Jim22Palmer) <a href="

">April 20, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Andy is going to pave the way for the PED users.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They don't have much credibility with me as it is, but if they put Pettitte in and Bonds and Clemens aren't in, I won't pay the slightest bit of attention to who gets in anymore.

But Andy did it to help the team and it was only HGH. Those other guys were me first steroid users.

I think a good number of Red Sox fans confine our dislike for Ortiz as simply a byproduct of the rivalry between our team and theirs. He's been an excellent hitter who has certainly given Orioles fans reason to root against him for purely baseball reasons. But the Red Sox label and our rivalry mean little to my feelings for the character of the man. He's rude. He's disturbingly self-important. He has no accountability for his actions. He's wildly disrespectful yet accuses most everyone of disrespecting him. He treats umpires (and most everyone) as beneath him. There is not one ounce of humility in him.

My great idol in baseball history for quality of character is actually a Yankee, as hard as that is to admit (Gehrig). There may be worse characters than Ortiz in baseball history, but of all active players he is the one that stands apart from the crowd. I hate Pedroia, but only through a rival's eyes, and in a purely baseball sense. I can respect him as a player and a person, while hating what he's done to the Orioles in competition. The way a lot of people (including me) feel about Ortiz goes beyond rivalry. I don't like young fans seeing someone who is cheered loudly, behaving so shallowly. Particularly young Red Sox fans.

You can't expect professional athletes to all be model citizens. But there is a line. Doing one thing very well does not excuse all responsibility for personal conduct in life and in baseball. The guy's a world class jerk and his act is tired. I'll be very happy when he can't perform as an athlete any more, and it will have little to do with the Red Sox.

Some of Palmer's critics are showing extreme ignorance:

Kriss Fraser states:

Ortiz is the face of MEN ... INTENSITY, WINS GAMES. NOT WHINING ... perhaps that's why I never heard of you.

https://twitter.com/KrissFraser/status/590276373257814018

If you want to call Palmer a jerk, pompous, a jealous ex-player, etc., that's one thing.

But saying that you have never heard of Jim Palmer is tantamount to an Oriole fan saying that they have never heard of Carl Yastrzemski.

It makes YOU come across as an airhead ...... it isn't insulting to Palmer at all.

To be fair, he/she probably hasn't heard of Tris Speaker or Jimmie Foxx either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That early exit from the box when it's a 3 ball count finally came back to bite him, too. Thorne commented on that in the first at-bat, I believe. About how the ump can't judge the height of the pitch according to the batter's stance if he's out of the box. Serves him right to have it called a strike as. He did the same thing two years ago in the at bat when he bashed the dugout phone.

I had an argument (online on Facebook - an actual friend) today with a Red Sox fan and he turned it into a rant about Palmer. Palmer is a classy HOF pitcher who respects the game and always has. Papi, once someone I pulled for as a Yankee-killer, has become my least liked player. The phone incident did it for me. The man is violent and is out of control.

Check the hashtag ;)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Signing off sports fans. Thanks for the back O's fans. Let's hug it out with sox fans. Just love their team. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/papimademefamous?src=hash">#papimademefamous</a></p>— Jim Palmer (@Jim22Palmer) <a href="

">April 21, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived