Stark:Roberts deal could be done next week

goodol23

STRIKE TWO -- Bird Land: An official of one club that has been in touch with the Orioles and Cubs predicts the Orioles will trade Brian Roberts to Wrigleyville in the third week of March. The most likely package continues to be Roberts and Jay Payton for Sean Gallagher, Ronny Cedeno and at least one more prospect.

The Orioles also have been telling clubs they'll add at least one more veteran starting pitcher before Opening Day. Translation: Kyle Lohse, if they can keep Scott Boras' asking price within reason.

At the moment, the Orioles are planning on Steve Trachsel as their Opening Day starter, just to take the heat off their younger pitchers. Which leads us to this question: What's the last team to start a free agent who signed a minor-league contract on Opening Day? If you can think of one, let us know, at uselessinfodept@yahoo.com.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
STRIKE TWO -- Bird Land: An official of one club that has been in touch with the Orioles and Cubs predicts the Orioles will trade Brian Roberts to Wrigleyville in the third week of March. The most likely package continues to be Roberts and Jay Payton for Sean Gallagher, Ronny Cedeno and at least one more prospect.

The Orioles also have been telling clubs they'll add at least one more veteran starting pitcher before Opening Day. Translation: Kyle Lohse, if they can keep Scott Boras' asking price within reason.

At the moment, the Orioles are planning on Steve Trachsel as their Opening Day starter, just to take the heat off their younger pitchers. Which leads us to this question: What's the last team to start a free agent who signed a minor-league contract on Opening Day? If you can think of one, let us know, at uselessinfodept@yahoo.com.

Do you have a cite for this?

I can almost guarantee that Trax will not be the opening day starter since DT has petty much already given that to Guthrie.

As for the BRob trade I'll believe it when I see it, and I don't believe I'll see it.

Can you post a link to the trade rumor? Interestingly enough the Cubs played Cedeno in CF today. I guess partially in case the rumored deal falls through and partially because Pie has had a little.......physical discomfort lately.

Nevermind you just posted it.

Can we please stop coddling these young starters as if they haven't been pitching for likely over a decade!?!?!?

They're not going to see a large crowd and curl up into the fetal position. If Jeremy Guthrie was any more level headed Baltimore sports journalists would instantly die of boredom.

So this is what journalism has come to? What a sad, sad commentary on the overall state or our culture. Whether it's sports, politics, or anything else, "all the news that's fit to print" these days seems to amount to nothing more than rumors steeped in innuendo. Where have all the real reporters gone? :(

Archived