No-Hitter/Perfect Game Watch Thread

ArtVanDelay

But if they never enforce it, it isn't a rule. I think by law women can't wear pants in Arizona either. It is sufficiently ambiguous in my mind as to whether Tabata intentionally leaned in or he was befuddled by a ball that started in the middle of the plate and was suddenly boring in on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It it was a slider that backed up. It hardly had a chance to "bore in on him". If you can call that sufficiently ambiguous, fine, but the rule exists. It will take a few complaints in key situations where games actually matter and it isn't just a matter of statistical history on the line. It's happened before.

Per baseball official rule 6.08(b), a batter becomes a baserunner and is awarded first base when he or his equipment (except for his bat):
  • is touched by a pitched ball outside of the strike zone,
  • and he attempts to avoid it (or had no opportunity to avoid it),

Yeah, problem is, it wasn't within the rules. The umpires don't enforce it, that doesn't make it ok.

The only time I think I have ever seen a batter get hit by a pitch and the batter didn't go to first was Albert Belle with the Orioles. I can't remember if it was because Belle refused to go, or, and I think it was for this reason, because the umpire said he made no attempt to move and ruled the at bat continue.

The only time I think I have ever seen a batter get hit by a pitch and the batter didn't go to first was Albert Belle with the Orioles. I can't remember if it was because Belle refused to go, or, and I think it was for this reason, because the umpire said he made no attempt to move and ruled the at bat continue.

I remember that. I think Belle ended up doubling into the gap to clear the bases. And yeah, it was because Belle refused to take the base.

I remember one game where Belle had hit 3 Hrs and he was hit by the ball but refused to go to first base saying it didn't hit him (because he wanted to try for a 4th home run). His teammates persuaded him to go down to 1st.

He made no attempt to get out of the way. Nothing, nada, none. You keep qualifying your statement with "at the end he did, a little....", and hence the disagreement.

And since he did lean into the pitch it was worse than a guy putting down a bunt in that situation. Of course they won't call it but how many times have you seen a guy raise his arms and take the pitch? Like I said, pathetic.

Ok, I see what your saying now. I think we agree enough in general. Where we disagree with is I don't think it's "pathetic." I think that's too strong a word. And I certainty disagree with the notion that putting a bunt would of been worse. That's premeditated. I don't think Tabata went up to bat thinking, hey I'm going to intentionally get hit if it's anywhere inside so I can break up the perfect game.

I think it would be interesting to get an anonymous poll from MLB players to see how they feel.