2015 Orioles, Lowered Expectations edition. Let's finish above .500!

PeteU

Our efforts to retain players or acquire players through free agency will be hurt if we finish poorly. I'm against that. I'd much prefer a fourth consecutive winning season to build on.

Agree completely. Of course I'm disappointed with the slide in August, but I actually think it's quite important to finish above .500. Do you guys remember WHILE we were in that 1998-2011 nightmare (obviously we couldn't have known it would end in 2012), I thought - given the Yankees/Red Sox money and our poor farm system and lack of international scouting - that the consecutive losing season streak would NEVER end....I'm sure I'm not the only one.

We could all be here right now cursing and complaining about an 18th straight losing year. I just don't take WINNING baseball (even slightly above .500 winning baseball) for granted anymore.

And as a few have said, draft position is not that important given what a crapshoot it is in baseball.

Agree completely. Of course I'm disappointed with the slide in August, but I actually think it's quite important to finish above .500. Do you guys remember WHILE we were in that 1998-2011 nightmare (obviously we couldn't have known it would end in 2012), I thought - given the Yankees/Red Sox money and our poor farm system and lack of international scouting - that the consecutive losing season streak would NEVER end....I'm sure I'm not the only one.

We could all be here right now cursing and complaining about an 18th straight losing year. I just don't take WINNING baseball (even slightly above .500 winning baseball) for granted anymore.

And as a few have said, draft position is not that important given what a crapshoot it is in baseball.

I do think the difference between finishing in the bottom 10 (where your first draft pick is protected even if you sign a free agent who had receive a QO) and finishing outside the bottom 10 is fairly significant. But the bottom 10 teams are likely to finish with 76 wins or fewer. We'd have to finish 6-12 to be that bad, and I have no desire to go there.

I do think the difference between finishing in the bottom 10 (where your first draft pick is protected even if you sign a free agent who had receive a QO) and finishing outside the bottom 10 is fairly significant. But the bottom 10 teams are likely to finish with 76 wins or fewer. We'd have to finish 6-12 to be that bad, and I have no desire to go there.

I didn't know this....Good observation from you (as usual)...thanks Frobby...but yeah, let's win as many games as we can.

• 2 weeks later...

2015 Orioles, Lowered Low expectations edition. Let's finish at .500.

Then, whenever anyone asks if it was a relatively good year or a relatively bad year, we can all shrug and say, "I dunno."

Have the Orioles ever finished the season at an even .500?

Archived