Who would be the ideal pick for us?

Who would be the ideal draftee for us?

-Pedro Alvarez (power hitting 3B who is arguably the best college bat)?

Alvarez will help our lack of power bats in the system, and give us another young 3B to hope will make it to Baltimore (i.e. Rowell, Snyder).

-Tim Beckham (highly regarded high school SS with 5-tool potential)?

Beckham gives us hope for a future SS who can be one of the league's best when his tools catch up with his potential. Our system's lack of a high potential middle infielder makes Beckham an attractive pick.

-Aaron Crow (currently college's best pitching prospect)?

A potential top of the rotation right handed pitcher. Some think he can be an ace. Andy McPhail's blueprint is to build a team with pitching and defense, and thus far he has stockpiled our minor league systems with lot of good pitching prospects. Adding Crow could greatly help us have a formidable starting rotation in Baltimore.

-Brian Matusz (left handed college pitcher who could be the 2nd pitcher taken in the draft after Crow).

Putting up impressive numbers for the University of San Diego. Being a lefty with good stuff, teams will show interest. He also could help solidify the starting rotation.

-Justin Smoak (power hitting college 1B).

Helps our system's lack of big bats and gives us another player who could make an impact in Baltimore.

I think that Alvarez would be ideal fo us. That is def who I would take if I was the O's and had the top pick. I think with the current plan to compete in 2-3 seasons, him being the top bat in college is what would make him ideal. We would have him signed (hopefully) and in the system by next season and he would be out on the same schedule as Weiters. Rowell and Snyder. Pluc, it would give us another great draft pick and would give us some really good media attn (which we need). If he was the pick, I would expect to see him, Weiters, Rowell, Arrieta, Penn, Olsen, Liz and more all coming up through the system in the next 2-3 seasons, which is the exact plan for us competing.

I think that Beckham (Tim, not Gordon) will turn out to be the best player from this draft, but I think it will take him about 5 seasons to get up to help the O's. I would put the 2 top pitchers behind Alvarez as the ideal picks although IMO we really need a top bat.

The ideal player would be a SS, all things being equal. If Tim Beckham or Gordon Beckham are close in talent to anyone else available at #4, then they would be the ideal pick, IMO. Since college players are a little easier to project and closer to the majors, then I guess Gordon would be the pick. Just not sure how much of a reach he would be at #4.

It would be a bit of a reach. I know Gordon Beckham is having a good season, but I don't know if I have heard anywhere other than OH that he would be worth a top 5 pick anywhere else. I think people are too desperate to get middle infielders in our system and want to reach to get them here. There should be no way in this world that Gordon Beckham should br taken over the 2 top pitchers in this draft, Alvarez, Tim Beckham. And IMO he shouldn't be taken over Smoak or Hosmer either. After that it is up to the preference of the team picking.

When all is said and done, I think Tim Beckham will be the best player. For that reason, he'd be my pick.

I agree with you. I think he is the best player in 10 years from this draft. He has all the talent in the world. That's is why I see him going 2nd to the Pirates right now. I think that he is a player that their new management can really sell as the "future" face of the franchise.

3rd base seems to be covered by either rowell or snyder or Henson, so that's not a pressing concern. If indeed Alverez is the best bat in the draft (which I feel is between him or Hosmer) then we take him and put him at 1st. He is not gold glove quality at 3rd anyway. If indeed Tim Beckham is the best talent, then we should get him for that reason alone, but since we need a future ss, so much the better. 1st and ss, are the pressing needs of the system, so Hosmer ,h.s. Becham , Alvarez, or even Smoak would be fine with me. Jordan should take the Best Bat regardless. My personal choice is Hosmer over Beckham , only because I think his bat is better , or at least less of a risk.

3rd base seems to be covered by either rowell or snyder or Henson, so that's not a pressing concern. If indeed Alverez is the best bat in the draft (which I feel is between him or Hosmer) then we take him and put him at 1st. He is not gold glove quality at 3rd anyway. If indeed Tim Beckham is the best talent, then we should get him for that reason alone, but since we need a future ss, so much the better. 1st and ss, are the pressing needs of the system, so Hosmer ,h.s. Becham , Alvarez, or even Smoak would be fine with me. Jordan should take the Best Bat regardless. My personal choice is Hosmer over Beckham , only because I think his bat is better , or at least less of a risk.

There's been some talks that Rowell's glove is better suited for 1B, so he might be moved over to that position. Man, things are going to be really interesting if we have Rowell, Alvarez and Teixeira, all on the same team. Haha.

There's been some talks that Rowell's glove is better suited for 1B, so he might be moved over to that position. Man, things are going to be really interesting if we have Rowell, Alvarez and Teixeira, all on the same team. Haha.

I have read alot of people say that Alvarez is athletic enough to end up at third, first or on of the corner outfiled positions. I would be one happy O's fan if next year on opening day we have Rowell, Alvarez and Teixeira in the system! We would figure something out I am sure. :D

Alvarez is the best player who could help us soon. I'd guess that Smoak or one of the pitchers would be next on that list. Here's how I'd rate my preferences though...

Alvarez, Beckham, Crow, Matusz, Smoak, Hosmer

One thing strikes me as interesting though. In an organization w/o much in the way of position prospects, we have Moore, Snyder, Rowell and Henson all potentially at 3rd already. Add Alvarez to that group and it'll be like hitting a bee's nest with a baseball bat. All the others will be trying to prove their worth at 1b, 2b, SS, and LF.

Alvarez is the best player who could help us soon. I'd guess that Smoak or one of the pitchers would be next on that list. Here's how I'd rate my preferences though...

Alvarez, Beckham, Crow, Matusz, Smoak, Hosmer

One thing strikes me as interesting though. In an organization w/o much in the way of position prospects, we have Moore, Snyder, Rowell and Henson all potentially at 3rd already. Add Alvarez to that group and it'll be like hitting a bee's nest with a baseball bat. All the others will be trying to prove their worth at 1b, 2b, SS, and LF.

I'd like to see if they can move Henson to 2B. Moore doesn't appear to have the upside of Rowell, and from the looks of it, he may be useful as a utility guy. Snyder is being looked at 1B (but I'd like to see if he can compete at 3B, just in case Rowell doesn't pan out).

If we get Alvarez, I'd like to see him, Rowell, and Snyder all competing for the open spot in Baltimore. And if all 3 make it, move Rowell to LF (sorry Reimold :)), have Snyder play 3B and Alvarez at the opposite corner.

How's that for power in the lineup? And with Markakis, Jones, and Weiters--boy, that's some thunder in the lineup.

I'd definitely take Alvarez over Beckham. I don't want to wait 5 years, and who knows what you have with a HS player. And you do NOT draft a HS player for need. You have no idea what your needs will be when he's finally ready.

Archived