Who would be the ideal pick for us?

I'd definitely take Alvarez over Beckham. I don't want to wait 5 years, and who knows what you have with a HS player. And you do NOT draft a HS player for need. You have no idea what your needs will be when he's finally ready.

Very well said. This is exactly how I feel about drafting a high schooler.

I'd definitely take Alvarez over Beckham. I don't want to wait 5 years, and who knows what you have with a HS player. And you do NOT draft a HS player for need. You have no idea what your needs will be when he's finally ready.

I agree, I love Alvarez, Smoak would be pretty nice too, or one of the two Crow or Matusz. We can take HS'ers later in the draft.

If the players are performing as they are now I'm probably one of the few that would like to see Crow or Matusz drafted. I think we have a good base of young arms but I do think we need more. Both those guys could move quickly. I'd like to see the team get to the point where they can be kind of like Atlanta in developing arms some of which can be the currency to acquire what is needed to plug other holes.

I'd like to see if they can move Henson to 2B. Moore doesn't appear to have the upside of Rowell, and from the looks of it, he may be useful as a utility guy. Snyder is being looked at 1B (but I'd like to see if he can compete at 3B, just in case Rowell doesn't pan out).

If we get Alvarez, I'd like to see him, Rowell, and Snyder all competing for the open spot in Baltimore. And if all 3 make it, move Rowell to LF (sorry Reimold :)), have Snyder play 3B and Alvarez at the opposite corner.

How's that for power in the lineup? And with Markakis, Jones, and Weiters--boy, that's some thunder in the lineup.

In theory, yes. But Rowell, Reimold and Snyder are far less likely to reach their ceilings then Alvarez, Kakes, Jones and Weiters. I did see Reimold live last season and it's quite obvious that he's a great athlete (great wheels and arm). In my limited sample I couldn't tell much else though.

I'll go with Smoak. Switch hitting 1st baseman with power from both sides of the plate. Why sign Tex to a $100+mil contract when you can draft and develop your own Tex. And, as an advanced college bat, he's not that far away from being productive.

Good bat. Position of need. Power. Excellent defense. I'll take it.

I'll go with Smoak. Switch hitting 1st baseman with power from both sides of the plate. Why sign Tex to a $100+mil contract when you can draft and develop your own Tex. And, as an advanced college bat, he's not that far away from being productive.

Good bat. Position of need. Power. Excellent defense. I'll take it.

I don't disagree. There is an aweful lot to like about Justin, and that fact that he is probably 2 years away from the majors instead of 4 or 5 like Hosmer makes him even more attractive.

Archived