One Hit Wonders

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Ballard and Hardin are the king and duke of this competition for one-season greatness as far as starting pitchers are concerned. Perhaps Wayne Garland third.

I don't think Hardin should be on that list. He had a great year as a starter in '68, when Palmer was out. In '69 and '70 he was the fifth starter in a four-man rotation. Just because he couldn't beat out Palmer, Cuellar, McNally, or Dobson doesn't mean he was bad. He did okay those years, especially 1970.

A #1 what? He had 4.2 K/9 and a FIP over 4.00. K/BB ratio of 1.3:1. Today everyone would be saying "trade him now, he's turning into a pumpkin day after tomorrow."

He meant the 3 CG and 2 SHO part.

Now tell me how the dentist had an ERA+ of 200 with a 1.7 WHIP.

Did he hypnotize the baserunners?

I second the Mike Young answer. Dude was raking in 1985. I remember being at a game where he hit an opposite field HR onto the hill beyond the temporary bleachers in left center. An absolute missile.

He set an O's record for most RBI in a month with 32 in August of 1985. I don't know whether that is still a record or not.

Craig Worthington looked like he was going to be the starting g 3B for years after his Rookie year. Then fizzled out.

I think he was just over his head. He had almost the same numbers as a rookie as he did the year prior in AAA, low-.700s OPS. Although '88 was a bizarre year in the IL - Worthington was MVP. Steve Finley won the batting title at .314, and Worthington was 2nd in the league in homers with 16.

He meant the 3 CG and 2 SHO part.

Now tell me how the dentist had an ERA+ of 200 with a 1.7 WHIP.

Did he hypnotize the baserunners?

Yeah. Mostly the CG, Sho, and IP. That's why I didn't mention the misleading sub 4 ERA. That 89 team is still my favorite Orioles team. Went to my first Orioles game that year on my 12th birthday. Dave Schmidt started. I remember Chuck Finley started for the Angels. Cal hit 2 HR.

Archived