vs. ASTROS, 8/18

Sessh

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, what other metrics are you going to use for a starting pitcher?

ERA, ERA+, ERA-, WHIP, K/9, K/BB rate, FIP, xFIP, fWAR, rWAR.

I'm sure I've left off a bunch but all of them are better than wins.

You keep telling yourself that

3 AND 10

You asked a question, and he answered.

WOW. Aren't you sensitive.

I'm so behind in my reading. That's my next baseball bio on my wish list. I may spring for the book rather than the usual Kindle for that one. Someone gave me a bio of Christy Mathewson this week.

Still reading that bio of The Replacements (band).

I hear you. The three volume epic biography of Connie Mack by Norman Macht is also one of my recent favorites. From his playing days as one of the first modern catchers in the game, through managerial and ownership eras...a fascinating read.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• To put things into context, Jackson has so far an .898 OPS at AAA in his age 20 season (he started the season at over 1.000 before his call-up, I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that going up and struggling might've had some effect on his numbers afterwards).  Mayo at age 20 had a .782 OPS between A+ and AA. Basallo will turn 20 in 60 days. He's about 2/3 of a year younger than Holliday. In his age 19 season he currently has an .810 OPS. In Jackson's age 19 season he had a .928 OPS at Bowie before moving on to AAA where he OPS'd .796 in 91 PA.  Unless there is important statistic evidence suggesting that ISO at the major league level is a more important indicator of future success than say wRC+ or OPS (and if this were true, we should be encouraged by the fact that Jackson has gone from a .176 ISO--.133 at the same level--to .196 ISO from age 19 to 20) I don't really see any argument for putting Basallo or Mayo above them. With all due respect--because I think you are putting forth some interesting points and almost convinced me before I did this little exercise--I think you are likely subconsciously being affected too strongly by Jackson's 36 PA at the ML level. 
    • Good luck. Tomorrow is still TBD it appears.
    • It seems to make little sense to go to a 6 man rotation given how thin the bullpen already is. I certainly hope that is not the plan. Yes we can “get by” against the struggling Braves using Tate and Akin in high leverage situations. But that odds of using such mid relievers against good opponents (who can hit) is not very likely.
    • Yeah and at this point we dont have to use him in every save situation.  The other guys have been very good and just looking at the numbers it is gonna be almost impossible not to make the playoffs.  The division would be great but if the Yanks win 105+ games you just tip your cap to them as they are playing unreal baseball so far and continue to stay healthy.   There are only 6 team in the AL over .500 with Boston at .500.  Assuming 90 wins makes the playoffs(which i think will be less then that actually this year way the top teams are playing all we have to do is go 45-50  the rest of the way to make the playoffs.  The Red Sox and any other team would have to play  above .600 baseball to get to 90 wins.  If we don't get to 90 wins a whole lot more then having to use a different guy in a save situation here and there to give him rest.  
    • Hate to say it but that is how I have felt for a while now.  I just don't see the athleticism or the special qualities in him that you do with a Gunnar or a Judge.  Things that make them standout from the rest.   He looks just like a regular player.  I see a young looking, not very athletic, good baseball player for his age. The best prospect in baseball?   I have doubts on that.    And that is not to say he won't be a really good player in the future.  I just don't see superstar.
    • God, I hate flawed baseball players.  They're the absolute worst.
    • People can’t see the forest through the trees.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now