Mancini talk, 2017

weams

I'm only half joking when I say the O's should see if the Red Sox would be interested in Chris Davis in a trade, which would free up Mancini or Trumbo to take over 1B and get something of a rebuild started.  Red Sox badly miss Ortiz's left handed power bat.   I doubt they would go for Davis, even with salary relief, but it's maybe only a matter of time before the Sox start to get desperate for those missing LH home runs.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CheeryO said:

I'm only half joking when I say the O's should see if the Red Sox would be interested in Chris Davis in a trade, which would free up Mancini or Trumbo to take over 1B and get something of a rebuild started.  Red Sox badly miss Ortiz's left handed power bat.   I doubt they would go for Davis, even with salary relief, but it's maybe only a matter of time before the Sox start to get desperate for those missing LH home runs.

Why would the Sox want Davis, Morelands doing finer and a lot cheaper 

.266 .359 .463 .823

49 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Why would the Sox want Davis, Morelands doing finer and a lot cheaper 

.266 .359 .463 .823

I guess you're right, though one of them could DH or play position other than 1B, especially since HanRam is hitting only OK.  Moreland is good but I always thought he was more of a platoon player.  Neither Ramirez nor Moreland hit as many homers as Davis, and I'm sure the Red Sox want another big lefty bat for Fenway.

12 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

I guess you're right, though one of them could DH or play position other than 1B, especially since HanRam is hitting only OK.  Moreland is good but I always thought he was more of a platoon player.  Neither Ramirez nor Moreland hit as many homers as Davis, and I'm sure the Red Sox want another big lefty bat for Fenway.

Not at 23M per.

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The guy should be an AS.  He's about a week's worth of PA's away for qualifying for the batting title.  Right now he'd rank 5th in AVG. and 6th in OPS in the AL.  

If it wasn't for unfrozen caveman baseball player in the Bronx, Mancini would have a shot at rookie of the year.  Still might, a lot of baseball left to be played. 

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

It would be for us but not for BOS. They need SP not more bats.

The Red Sox have the fourth fewest home runs in the league -- only 75.  They miss Ortiz badly.  Meanwhile they have the seventh best ERA in baseball.  Their hitting is definitely a bigger problem than their pitching (though that could change I guess with ERod on the DL and Price's cracked nail).

Don't know what you mean by it would be for us but not for Boston.  By salary relief I mean the O's would eat part of Davis' salary in a trade.

17 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

The Red Sox have the fourth fewest home runs in the league -- only 75.  They miss Ortiz badly.  Meanwhile they have the seventh best ERA in baseball.  Their hitting is definitely a bigger problem than their pitching (though that could change I guess with ERod on the DL and Price's cracked nail).

Don't know what you mean by it would be for us but not for Boston.  By salary relief I mean the O's would eat part of Davis' salary in a trade.

Much easier to just trade Manny for there top two prospect plus some lesser ones. Their SP doesn't llook that good to me after Sale and EdRod. They don't need Davis.

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, even though Mancini was very good in AA in 2015, I wouldn't have expected management to consider Mancini a big factor in the decision about whether to keep Davis.    

Agree totally about Davis, but I saw enough to think he and others could replace Trumbo. I think he made the Trumbo signing incredibly redundant and they could have used the money to get a SP or better COF for left. 

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, even though Mancini was very good in AA in 2015, I wouldn't have expected management to consider Mancini a big factor in the decision about whether to keep Davis.    

That surprises me. I thought the normal way to do business in baseball is to properly identify your prospects and then be sure to NOT block them. Then in turn take that money and put it towards starting pitching, Manny or something like that. I would contend that the failure regarding Mancini is that they simply miscalculated how he would perform in the bigs. And this appears to be a serious problem for the organization. 

3 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

That surprises me. I thought the normal way to do business in baseball is to properly identify your prospects and then be sure to NOT block them. Then in turn take that money and put it towards starting pitching, Manny or something like that. I would contend that the failure regarding Mancini is that they simply miscalculated how he would perform in the bigs. And this appears to be a serious problem for the organization. 

And his ability to play outfield. That to me is the bigger miss.

Archived