vs. WHITE SOX, 6/12

OFFNY

From http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1193015-mlb-the-most-nagging-yet-debilitating-injuries-in-baseball :

"When a player suffers an oblique strain, there is a minimum period of between six and eight weeks required for the injury to heal before a player can even return to baseball activities. Needless to say, an oblique strain is not an injury that any baseball player ever wants to experience."

:(

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, 25 Nuggets said:

He might as well join Davis on the DL then.

He really should. At some point, we get it, you're tough, but if it is going to affect you getting to balls (not saying that knuckling fly ball was missed due to his injury) I'm not trying to wait for a game were he ends up laid out on the ground with a more serious injury. 

Just now, spiritof66 said:

Thorne was talking about something called a "shutdown inning." I think I've heard of those things, but I can't remember what they are. Is just a theoretical construct, or can they happen in real life?

It's when you turn off your TV..'shut down' the computer and find something else to do. Ref: Firestone, Roy

Just now, Drifter said:

It's when you turn off your TV..'shut down' the computer and find something else to do. Ref: Firestone, Roy

Can you use it in a sentence?:

Chris Tillman's performance in the first inning Saturday against the Yankees turned it into a shut down inning for me. 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• From what I can tell the xAcc is about the mix pitches they get. It is estimating "likelihood a given pitch is called correctly." Has nothing to with the skill of the umpire. So if he had a low xAcc that game, it would mean he had a lot of pitches on the edge of the strike zone or for whatever reason their algo thinks they were hard pitches to call.  https://umpscorecards.com/explainers/accuracy So this scorecard is saying that for the particular mix of pitches Laz got, he did better than expected and this could be considered a good game. I say that's dead wrong. 
    • Definitely he was being diplomatic.  He'd have the best view of it and it wasn't like it was just off the corner, that was practically down the middle.  The whole ball was in the strike zone.  
    • I just don't see any justifiable reason why this isn't implemented.  I don't see why the umpire union would have an issue with it and it would make sure the calls are right.  We're already testing it in the minors.  Just bite the bullet and do it already.  Umpires don't lose jobs because they're still back there calling the plays.  The only ones who get mad about it is the old tradionalist's that consistently use the "human element" argument.  Which to me, is a crock.  So frustrating to watch constant mistakes when they easily can be rectified.  
    • FWIW, Kremer didn't know it was blown (according to post-game interview). Either that or he's a level 20 diplomat.
    • Early in the year there wasn't room for a 10th round $100K pick.  Early in the season, the lineup at several times was literally the highest signing bonus to the lowest.  In Norfolk, it is still developmental and the $$$ gets developed.  It doesn't make business sense to prioritize low/late round picks.  If they happen to develop... it is likely on their own doing in their own time. As pointed out in another thread, Cook's EV isn't not the best.  His size, speed, etc are not elite.  Nothing, in my opinion, says,  "take me and keep me on the 26 man for the year.  I will prove my worth.".  He is likely good enough to keep on the AAA roster to avoid the MiLB draft and if there are enough injuries to get him an early shot, even then at what level would he have to perform to stay up? Cook is only in his 4th year and the O's have 3 more years (after this year) of control in the minors before he is a FA and can choose not to come back.  With the current AAA pay, it may be enough for him to keep the "grind" and eventually get that cup of coffee.  Look at Banuelos, right spot at right time in a blow out and he will forever be able to say he was an MLB player.
    • It is interesting that Chris Davis‘s career WAR is only 11.8 so aside from that one splendid season he was pretty mediocre.
    • It just doesn't make sense when they have the technology to improve it, to not improve it. 
  • Popular Contributors