Expansion/Realignment

eddie83

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Would love this. Not at all married to the traditional AL East. I actively avoid going to games at Camden Yards when the O's play any division opponent other than Tampa. The fans piss me off too much for me to want to spend money.

But ownership isn't going to want to give up the attendance boost that having the Red sox and Yankees in the division gives him.

I like the idea of moving to 32 teams and it seems pretty certain that will be happening. I'm more skeptical of dissolving the AL/NL.  My favorite option would be two eight-team East and West divisions in each league. Let the two division winners get the byes into the division series and four wild cards in each league play a three game series in the higher seeded team's city to earn their way in.

I think there's some flavor in the league separation that MLB and NFL uses, and it's more interesting to me than the Eastern/Western Conferences used by the NHL and NBA. That's why I don't prefer total geographic realignment, though I won't be surprised if it's what they do. And if it happens, we'll get used to it pretty quick. 

3 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I like the idea of moving to 32 teams and it seems pretty certain that will be happening. I'm more skeptical of dissolving the AL/NL.  My favorite option would be two eight-team East and West divisions in each league. Let the two division winners get the byes into the division series and four wild cards in each league play a three game series in the higher seeded team's city to earn their way in.

I think there's some flavor in the league separation that MLB and NFL uses, and it's more interesting to me than the Eastern/Western Conferences used by the NHL and NBA. That's why I don't prefer total geographic realignment, though I won't be surprised if it's what they do. And if it happens, we'll get used to it pretty quick. 

Part of the purpose is to minimize travel, so geographically aligned divisions will happen.

Why would the Nationals be playing more competitive teams in the proposed division? The same motley bunch they currently play would be included except for the Mets and they add Pttisburgh, Tampa, Cincy and us. 

If you have an "eastern" division that has to include the New York teams and Boston.

Edited by Fuzzball22

2 hours ago, vab said:

Going from 9 or 10 Yankees and Red Sox games to 3 Yankee and Red Sox games every other year? The Orioles are not going to sign on for that. Huge revenue hit there.

But wouldnt having the nats, phils, and pirates who are all closer than ny and boston offset that at least partly?  Lots of fans in the i95 corridor (and i70 corridor in the case of the bucs) would turn out even if both teams arent that good.  You're effectively doubling your market size for games against those 3 teams