The Case For: Austin Wynns

Legend_Of_Joey

This series follows up two previous entries that had some very good discussion involving Johnny Giavotella and Corban Joseph, with Johnny G actually getting a call up last year (Corban Joseph is still pending....Atleast, that is my story.)

Now, removing my personal connection to Austin aside, here is my case for him.

Chance Sisco is the Orioles future catcher, so he is entrenched there. Buck hasn't used him much against left handed pitchers, instead using a platoon of Caleb Joseph and Andrew Susac so far.

Let's start with averages for the right handed tandem, much to Can_Of_Corn's dismay.

Caleb Joseph: .182

Andrew Susac: .130 (at the time of this post)

Yes, Susac hasn't had as many at bats (77 vs. 22). However, Susac is currently 2-19 vs. left handed batters for a .105 average. He isn't hitting anything. Joseph was 6-30 for a .200 average against lefties. Can Susac just be warming up? Well...

When Susac was in Norfolk, he was hitting .359 with 2 home runs prior to injuring his ankle in a double header. When he came back, he was 2-15 (.133 average) with 1 hit being a home run. So, Susac was trending downward. Joseph was starting to trend upward at the time, but the Warehouse had already made up its mind.

Now, Wynns has a total average of .271 (tied with much hyped DJ Stewart) with 3 home runs (tied for 3rd on the team), going 17-31 (.548) against left handed pitching. I emphasize that due to the splits.

Wynns also just now equaled Susac's strike out total, while also having twice as many at bats at him. They are nearly equal in walks, as Wynns puts the ball in play. Susac had a 39% strike out rate, while Wynns has a 24%. Putting the ball in play, especially with a runner on, is a lot better than a strike out.

Both were fairly equally screwed in Norfolk as far as the running game was concerned, as the current Norfolk staff doesn't do them any favors. Multiple pitches in the dirt, failure to hold runners (so Susac was used to what happened with Gausman against Boston,) and infielders dropping or flat out missing throws on steal attempts (I'm looking at you Sardinas, Tejada, and Vielma), along with 65 mph breaking balls on steals. Wynns has a better defensive track record, while Susac was a mainly "offense first" catcher.

The biggest positive for Susac was his draft status and how he was a #1 prospect for the San Francisco Giants. Injuries and some guy infront of him named "Buster Posey," combined with a lack of ability to stay healthy led to him being shipped to the Brewers, where he posted a .083 average in 2017. Obviously, the Orioles hoped he would be better, but with the depth of catcher in the organization, it was a severe dumpster diving move. Missing a chunk of Spring Training due to an infection too didn't help.

The club clearly wanted to give Susac as much a chance as possible, even keeping him until the end of camp. Initially, everyone thought it was a battle between Sisco and Susac, when it now really appears it was a battle between Susac and Joseph.

Now, they will probably give Susac until July to see what he can do. If he keeps up this pace, do you play "catcher roulette" again in Norfolk? If Wynns is staying red hot against lefties, which is the side you are platooning with Sisco anyway, then yes. You bring him up, let him face MLB pitching. Wynns isn't the "starting catcher of the next 10 years." He is your backup for a few. The year is lost, let him get up, face MLB pitchers and work with the current staff. Susac can go back to Norfolk, or just DFA'ed and clear a roster spot on the 40 for someone more deserving. Audrey Perez can fill in as the backup in Norfolk for Joseph until September when Joseph will almost be guaranteed back for the "3rd catcher" bench spot.

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Here’s a thought. They shouldn’t have sent Joseph down in the first place. This club makes some really moronic decisions. Joseph’s bat was heating up too.

I disagree. This team is going nowhere this season. I think it's best to give the young guys a chance. Why not see what they got in minor league players? We all know about Caleb. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Susac got the first crack because he was on the 40 man. I would go with Wynns and Sisco until September. Let’s find out what we have. Wynns cannot be any worse at the plate than Joseph and Susac. It’s not like Wynns is 21 either. 

Wynns is on the 40 man.  Susac got first crack because he had ML experience.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Wynns is on the 40 man.  Susac got first crack because he had ML experience.

Yeah I agree. It’s produce or DFA for Susac. I don’t remember ever having 4 catchers on the 40 man roster at once. MW and Caleb were the only two catchers on there for like 4 years. Sprinkle in some F. Pena when one of them had to go on the DL. But then again, it’s not like we’re shuffling the 40 man roster to win games. 

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And I wouldn't DFA him.

He hasn't had an adequate sample size of ABs since 2015. That said, I didn't realize he was 28 years old. I'm fine with writing him off because giving ABs to a 28 year old when you have younger, better prospects at the position is a waste of time. Sisco and Wynns should be getting the ABs. 

14 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

He hasn't had an adequate sample size of ABs since 2015. That said, I didn't realize he was 28 years old. I'm fine with writing him off because giving ABs to a 28 year old when you have younger, better prospects at the position is a waste of time. Sisco and Wynns should be getting the ABs. 

Wynns is nine months younger than Susac.