Machado Trade Expectations

Greg Pappas

Machado Trade Expectations  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Regarding the return we receive, what are your expectations of whatever Machado trade takes place?

• The return will be outstanding.
    • The return will be solid.
    • The return will be merely decent.
    • The return will be poor.
    • The return will be just terrible.
    • I expect we will not trade him at all, getting only a compensation pick in next year's draft.

20 minutes ago, atomic said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned but the Yankees could really use Machado.  Neil Walker has been awful at first and Andjudar cannot field well. Move him to first and release Walker and put Machado at third.  Who do the Yankees have that we could use?

The Yankees have Bird at 1B and they need pitching MUCH more than they need an upgrade at 3B. My guess is they target Archer. 

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found this quote rather interseting. If true, the Orioles are being greedy. They blew the big Machado haul by not trading him last year. Same with Britton IMO. Typical Orioles (Angelos) miscalculation.

If (and it's a bigger if than many would think) the Orioles move on from Machado in an effort to replenish a poor farm system and decaying team, the Phillies will likely be involved. But the price tag matters. If the cost is how it's currently being reported by MLB insider Jon Heyman, it's hard to imagine the Phillies paying it for a player they can simply go after on the open market in November.

The Phillies love Machado and have indeed reached out, and seem like a favorite over others (and could be part of an NL East battle; more on that below). One Phillies-connected person suggested the Orioles are asking for four young players, and that at present, the price is "too steep."

http://www.nj.com/phillies/index.ssf/2018/06/mlb_rumors_phillies_ready_to_spend_on_both_manny_m.html#incart_river_index

24 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

I found this quote rather interseting. If true, the Orioles are being greedy. They blew the big Machado haul by not trading him last year. Same with Britton IMO. Typical Orioles (Angelos) miscalculation.

http://www.nj.com/phillies/index.ssf/2018/06/mlb_rumors_phillies_ready_to_spend_on_both_manny_m.html#incart_river_index

I think you missed the part where he said that it's not unusual for teams to ask for a lot early in negotiations and then adjust to what is offered.  Likewise, it not unusual for the other to to claim that the ask is way to high.  It's part of the dance ritual.

35 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

Well wasn't that Macphail's theory get 4 or 5 guys for a player so that a couple will end up sticking?

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Well wasn't that Macphail's theory get 4 or 5 guys for a player so that a couple will end up sticking?

He was able to do that twice when he traded Bedard and Tejada, each of whom had two years of control remaining, not two months.    While  with the O’s, Andy never traded a significant player who was on an expiring contract at the deadline (unless you want to call Tejada round 2 or Derek Lee significant — they each garnered one mediocre prospect in return). 

Regarding any potential Phillies package: Right handed starters Sixto Sanchez and Enyel De Los Santos would likely be the two prime pitching targets in any trade talks with the Phillies. Among some other solid arms, 7-footer Kyle Young is a young (20), tall, left-handed starter that is pitching well at Advanced A Ball.  I imagine we'd have interest in him, as well.  On the position player side, there's not a great deal of talent in their system, though young struggling major-leaguers like middle-infielders JP Crawford and Scott Kingery could also factor into the package, as they each carry solid value.

21 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Regarding any potential Phillies package: Right handed starters Sixto Sanchez and Enyel De Los Santos would likely be the two prime pitching targets in any trade talks with the Phillies. Among some other solid arms, 7-footer Kyle Young is a young (20), tall, left-handed starter that is pitching well at Advanced A Ball.  I imagine we'd have interest in him, as well.  On the position player side, there's not a great deal of talent in their system, though young struggling major-leaguers like middle-infielders JP Crawford and Scott Kingery could also factor into the package, as they each carry solid value.

I'd love to get De Los Santos, he's been fire for them this year at Lehigh Valley.  

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

How about Del la Santos, Quinn, Kyle Young and Gomez

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

I can't imagine Sixto is available, he's on the verge of breaking into the top 10 prospects in the game. I can't think of any prospect rated as high as #15 who was dealt in a trade for a short term contract. Enyel, as I said before,would be a great get though.

Archived