Will Chris Davis make it to 502 PA?

Aglets

Will the Orioles let Chris Davis reach 'official' legendary status?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Does he get 502 PA before the end of the season?

• Yes
    • No

5 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

A few months ago around the series in Atlanta, he made a change for either 1 game or 1 at bat after Palmer criticized him on TV, then dropped it. This was also around the time the "Coolbaugh" story broke.

He might just not care.

He cares alot. It's a dirty job but someone has to do it.Dont you have faith in him no more?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’m not sure I buy that.    Does he want to hit .170?    I’d think he’d be willing to try just about anything.    But it’s hard to do.

I was thinking about this. I would love to see him try to bunt every other AB now that the games are truly meaningless. Nothing he is doing right now is working, so why not work on stuff?

14 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I was thinking about this. I would love to see him try to bunt every other AB now that the games are truly meaningless. Nothing he is doing right now is working, so why not work on stuff?

Because a bunting Davis is every bit as bad as what we have now.

Even with the shift I don't think he can hit .300 on bunt attempts and if he can?  Well you have a super slow Davis on first base three times out of ten. 

Unless your plan is for him to break some fingers and end up on the DL I don't see it.

The only time I know of that Davis worked at changing his approach was in the end of 2012 and into 2013 with Jim Presley. They went back to Tee ball and worked on staying closed and going the other way. In 2013 he broke out, 2014 he had some injuries and was busted. Presley was reassigned within the organization after 2014 even though he was under contract for 2015. No explanation other than it was for a personal issue. In 2016-2017 he was the hitting coach for Texas AAA. In 2018 he worked in Taiwan. He is the only one that I know of who ever got Davis to change his approach. The old Davis was a ripped gym-rat who spent hours in the cage practicing the old approach. That was 5-6 years ago and Davis is no longer ripped. If they want a desperate Hail Mary, bring Presley back this off season to see if he can get thru to Davis again. There are $92 million reasons to try.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because a bunting Davis is every bit as bad as what we have now.

Even with the shift I don't think he can hit .300 on bunt attempts and if he can?  Well you have a super slow Davis on first base three times out of ten. 

Unless your plan is for him to break some fingers and end up on the DL I don't see it.

Coolbaugh can tell Davis getting a high grip on the bat is the technique for him when bunting.  

3 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Maybe the new manager will move Davis to the bullpen until he gets his hitting straight on the side. He might be able to generate some value that way.

Or less negative value.  Really they should just release him. He is an albatross around the neck of this team.  I mean they screwed up.  Davis is a terrible player with a bad work ethic.  DFA him. He isn't going to help the team. It will cost your 500k a year more to have someone else play his position. Maybe Davis will agree to giving the team back 2 million of his salary if he doesn't have to player anymore. 

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Or less negative value.  Really they should just release him. He is an albatross around the neck of this team.  I mean they screwed up.  Davis is a terrible player with a bad work ethic.  DFA him. He isn't going to help the team. It will cost your 500k a year more to have someone else play his position. Maybe Davis will agree to giving the team back 2 million of his salary if he doesn't have to player anymore. 

As much as I don't ever want to see him bat again the proper move is to give him half a season in 2019.  Not like he is keeping the team from making the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

As much as I don't ever want to see him bat again the proper move is to give him half a season in 2019.  Not like he is keeping the team from making the playoffs.

What is your logic in that decision?  He suddenly starts hitting .280 and hits 50 home runs and then we can trade him?  He has only hit higher than .221 once in the last five years.  He has only 1 year in the last 5 with an OPS over .800.  He is a weak fielding first baseman.  No team is ever going to trade for him.  It is sunk cost.  There is no getting any value back out of him.

Like you said he isn't keeping us from making the playoffs but he won't help us either. Time to just admit they made an incredibly stupid decision and move on.  Just because other teams kept paying players that were much worse than replacement level doesn't mean we have to. 

1 minute ago, atomic said:

What is your logic in that decision?  He suddenly starts hitting .280 and hits 50 home runs and then we can trade him?  He has only hit higher than .221 once in the last five years.  He has only 1 year in the last 5 with an OPS over .800.  He is a weak fielding first baseman.  No team is ever going to trade for him.  It is sunk cost.  There is no getting any value back out of him.

Like you said he isn't keeping us from making the playoffs but he won't help us either. Time to just admit they made an incredibly stupid decision and move on.  Just because other teams kept paying players that were much worse than replacement level doesn't mean we have to. 

I think he's better than Mancini.  Not sure about Trumbo.

If they had a first baseman that was being blocked I'd be fine with cutting him.

But the man had talent.  If there is a chance he can refocus himself and get back to half the player he was you are better off with him.

It should take long next year to see.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe he'll catch the change vibe and turn himself into a player who doesn't suck.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think he's better than Mancini.  Not sure about Trumbo.

If they had a first baseman that was being blocked I'd be fine with cutting him.

But the man had talent.  If there is a chance he can refocus himself and get back to half the player he was you are better off with him.

It should take long next year to see.

I always thought Davis was a bad baseball player.  Sure he had that one season where he was out of this world but he still struck out 200 times.  

Anyway here is my solution if you want him here next year.  You start him every game but pinch hit for him his first at bat.  Put him 9th in the order so he gets to play the field for at least an inning. 

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

I always thought Davis was a bad baseball player.  Sure he had that one season where he was out of this world but he still struck out 200 times.  

Anyway here is my solution if you want him here next year.  You start him every game but pinch hit for him his first at bat.  Put him 9th in the order so he gets to play the field for at least an inning. 

It is misrepresenting me to say that I want him here next year.

Archived