Orioles Deal Gausman/O'Day to Braves - Schoop to Brewers

weams

1 minute ago, crissfan172 said:

Too many people think of baseball payroll in terms of a salary cap. Money not spent the next two years isn't a missed opportunity; it's money that can be used in the future. 

And the best way to use it for the future would be to keep it on the books for a greater prospect return.  Since that of course is the lifeblood of your future. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, clapdiddy said:

So you keep Gausman, then.   Agreed with most takes on here.   Unimpressed with the Gausman deal.  It only makes sense if we absolutely needed the slot money for VVM.  

Yeah I am feeling a bit underwhelmed too, but we don't know how the deal went down. Maybe the package was set and DD then jammed O'Day down their throats to save an extra ~10+m. 

4 minutes ago, jgjbanker said:

Agree on the Braves trade. Underwhelming at best. With all of the money we have already shed, I would have preferred to keep O'Day and try to move him at next year's trade line and try to get a better return for Gaus. 

This exactly...was expecting at least one of their top 11, particularly figuring Riley, Pachhe, Toussaint, Waters, Wentz, Muller or Contreras.

So are any of these guys they got in all these trades gonna be able to crack the rotation in a couple years?  I mean, they will because somebody has to pitch.  Just seems like a lot of relievers.  As far as I can tell, Kremer from the Dodger trade is the best SP prospect.

4 minutes ago, Reboulet'sStache said:

Yes, it's a horrible thing.  I'm not sure why this is complicated.  

What do we need to shed payroll for at the expense of prospects?  It made some sense sending Webb to the Dodgers with the draft pick to shed his salary.  We were trying to compete that year, and so needed the freed up payroll.

We aren't trying to compete next year.  Our entire mentality should be the complete opposite right now.  What can we do to expand the prospect return at the cost of the short term?   We just sacrificed a prospect return to free up money to do absolutely nothing with it.  Or at least anything we should be doing.  

So if we're not trying to compete next year, a lower payroll shouldn't really matter.  What, you want a team full of Davis and Trumbo types, bloated guys that we can't trade with high payrolls?  A losing team with high payroll isn't good.

Here, let's do this.  You tell me how the Orioles would be better with O'Day's contract still on the books.  

1 minute ago, 99ct said:

Yeah I am feeling a bit underwhelmed too, but we don't know how the deal went down. Maybe the package was set and DD then jammed O'Day down their throats to save an extra ~10+m. 

If that is the best offer you would just wait to the off-season to trade Gausman.  There is no rush. 

Just now, justice98 said:

So are any of these guys they got in all these trades gonna be able to crack the rotation in a couple years?  I mean, they will because somebody has to pitch.  Just seems like a lot of relievers.  As far as I can tell, Kremer from the Dodger trade is the best SP prospect.

Luis Ortiz is probably the best SP prospect.

1 minute ago, brooksfrankjim said:

I look at Gausman this way.  We save $12-13m, we pick up 4 lottery tickets, and we get some good money to spend internationally.  Gausman may become a stud there, but he wasn’t going to here.  

Really looking forward to the international signings.

The best part of these trades is possibly the international money. Not because of any particular international signee, but because you probably don't trade for more international money unless you intend to spend it. That alone would be a huge departure from the recent past.