Jonathan Villar- Our new 2B?

Greg Pappas

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Villar’s homer broke the MLB record for most total homers in a year by all of MLB combined.   Historic, and fitting that the record was broken on a 450-footer by a second baseman!

It's nice to set an offensive HR record this year too...

edit:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-sets-single-season-home-run-record

Villars bat is headed to the HOF.

2 hours ago, Win Column said:

I’ve to say, Villar and Alberto could well make for a fun, intriguing (and, dare I say, semi-potent) 1-2 punch atop the lineup for ’20. I’ll be curious to see where they wind up in the order next year (if Villar stays, which I see no reason to believe that he won’t).

They are indeed fun, but the problem is Alberto's performance against RHP. He has an extreme .626 / 1.002 split. I didn't realize until now how much Hyde has actually protected him from RHP: Hanser has only 281 plate appearances vs. 207 against LHP, which is, of course, far lower than the general ratio of RHP/LHP that any team faces. (Mancini, for example, is at a nearly 2:1 ratio of 398/200 and has done well against both.)

o

This was Villar's 3rd home run in  a 1-week span (September 11th through September 18th.)

(vs. BLUE JAYS, 9/18)

NUMBER 23

JONATHAN RAFAEL VILLAROQUE

o

On 8/25/2019 at 4:46 PM, Frobby said:

I do not expect Villar to replicate 2019.   To be clear, Villar’s OPS stood at .713 as recently as July 24.    I’m glad he’s had a very hot month, but I don’t mistake a month-long hot streak for some fundamental change in Villar’s skill set.    And I happen to like his normal skill set just fine.   

To be fair, he's had a better season at the plate previously (2016).

I think it may re-highlight his normal skill set as you call it and get a few teams interested this offseason.  Particularly a contending NL team looking for a 2-3 win, 2B/SS that can provide additional value as a bench bat/PR.

On 8/25/2019 at 4:46 PM, Frobby said:

I do not expect Villar to replicate 2019.   To be clear, Villar’s OPS stood at .713 as recently as July 24.    I’m glad he’s had a very hot month, but I don’t mistake a month-long hot streak for some fundamental change in Villar’s skill set.    And I happen to like his normal skill set just fine.   

9 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

To be fair, he's had a better season at the plate previously (2016).

I think it may re-highlight his normal skill set as you call it and get a few teams interested this offseason.  Particularly a contending NL team looking for a 2-3 win, 2B/SS that can provide additional value as a bench bat/PR.

To be clear, I’m not saying Villar can’t replicate this season, just that I wouldn’t expect him to.   I wouldn’t base my plan or decision to trade or keep him based on that expectation.  

o

(vs. BLUE JAYS, 9/23)

NUMBER 24

o

8 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. BLUE JAYS, 9/23)

NUMBER 24

o

Nice Season JV! 

On 9/19/2019 at 8:55 PM, Frobby said:

To be clear, I’m not saying Villar can’t replicate this season, just that I wouldn’t expect him to.   I wouldn’t base my plan or decision to trade or keep him based on that expectation.  

I would base it on we don't have anyone else to play shortstop next season. 

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

I would base it on we don't have anyone else to play shortstop next season. 

Let’s say you could find a decent trade partner for Villar that gets you one solid prospect and a flyer. If you could pick up an free agent SS who plays good defense for $2-3 mm, that might be a worthwhile exchange.    Lose a good amount on offense, gain a little on defense,  save some money and pick up two prospects who can help down the road after Villar would have been gone anyway.    That probably hurts next year’s record a little, but might be a good long run move.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Let’s say you could find a decent trade partner for Villar that gets you one solid prospect and a flyer. If you could pick up an free agent SS who plays good defense for $2-3 mm, that might be a worthwhile exchange.    Lose a good amount on offense, gain a little on defense,  save some money and pick up two prospects who can help down the road after Villar would have been gone anyway.    That probably hurts next year’s record a little, but might be a good long run move.

Why not just keep Martin?  He's improved in the second half.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That’s definitely an option.   It’s worth mentioning that he’s been playing a lot less in the second half, so it’s hard to tell how real his improvement is.    But it may be worth finding out.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

That’s definitely an option.   It’s worth mentioning that he’s been playing a lot less in the second half, so it’s hard to tell how real his improvement is.    But it may be worth finding out.  

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Does Villas have trade value, obviously, he has some?

Enough to send him packing for a decent ROI? Probably not.

Which leads me thinking we will see Villar in 2020 in ST and most likely the 2020 Oriole Roster.