Ex-Orioles in the postseason

Moose Milligan

"He's a player that has a history of those types of incidents," Yelich said. "One time is an accident. Repeated over and over and over again, you're just a dirty player. It's a dirty play by a dirty player. That's what it is. I have a lot of respect for him as a player, but you can't respect someone who plays the game like that.  --Christian Yelich

He sums it up well.  At least it wasn't in an Oriole uniform, and we'd have to watch the replay all over the news all in Orange and Black.

6 minutes ago, gmelson26 said:

"He's a player that has a history of those types of incidents," Yelich said. "One time is an accident. Repeated over and over and over again, you're just a dirty player. It's a dirty play by a dirty player. That's what it is. I have a lot of respect for him as a player, but you can't respect someone who plays the game like that.  --Christian Yelich

He sums it up well.  At least it wasn't in an Oriole uniform, and we'd have to watch the replay all over the news all in Orange and Black.

Agreed. Yelich seems like a stand up guy too. 

21 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I think Manny's completely disingenuine and his ego and sense of entitlement is off the charts. It might even be worse than Harper's. I'm sure someone will blink and pay him, but I really hope he gets banished  to the Padres of the White Sox when he signs his mega deal. 

Not a chance and if he's so awful why not wish that on someone like Philly, what did Chicago ever do to you?  Poor Padres too.  Meanie.  

I'll say it.  If it was Chris Taylor running, makes contact with Aguilar, and rolls his ankle, then the narrative is that Aguilar had his foot too far back on the bag for too long.

But it's Manny.  And, oh my, his hair!

I understand Aguilar getting upset, and I understand Yelich's comments.  The Donaldson series of events will continue to follow him through his career.  And of course Pedroia gets hurt on a legal slide and it's Manny's fault, so he should get fastballs thrown up around his head.

But if I was Milwaukee, I'd try to prevent him from getting on base 40% of the time so he can't score the winning run.

26 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I'll say it.  If it was Chris Taylor running, makes contact with Aguilar, and rolls his ankle, then the narrative is that Aguilar had his foot too far back on the bag for too long.

But it's Manny.  And, oh my, his hair!

I understand Aguilar getting upset, and I understand Yelich's comments.  The Donaldson series of events will continue to follow him through his career.  And of course Pedroia gets hurt on a legal slide and it's Manny's fault, so he should get fastballs thrown up around his head.

But if I was Milwaukee, I'd try to prevent him from getting on base 40% of the time so he can't score the winning run.

You're pretty far off the mark here. It was very clear to see that Manny was deliberate in dragging his foot to make sure he caught Aguilar's ankle. Looking at the angle from down the right field line, Manny's foot drags almost out of the baseline... wouldn't have mattered where Aguilar's foot was on the base.. it was going to get kicked. There's really no defending Manny for this play.

3 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

If he signs with the Yankees, then he will become the most hated ex-Oriole in the history of Oriole fandom. The evidence was always there that he was a serious tool. Now he is a serious tool with questionable intelligence (he could be bright, but has lived in a Manny worship bubble long enough to develop functional stupidity) who is openly talking to the media horde. If he does and says these things in a Yankee uniform, then Mike Mussina and others are going to look like Oriole saints in comparison. 

I don't know if I agree with all you said, but he is still in the worship bubble (maybe less so after last night...) Fox and TBS announcers have been gushing over him. And he is a GREAT hitter, good SS and has a CANNON for an arm. He's a superstar.

I will only hate him if he goes to Toronto or Boston (altho it seems he would fit in PERFECT at either of those.) NY not so much. Except for AROD, NY is more disciplined with their players IMO. No beards, respect the pinstripes and Yankee tradition blah blah blah. Might be a good thing for Manny. YMMV

Yeah, Manny is a bit of a douche.  I agree, a little disingenuous.  

But, I still like him.  Still want to see him win.  

Dunno, it's kinda like...I feel like we've never had a player that other teams and other fans love to hate.  We've mostly had a bunch of choir boys who aren't controversial.  Jones, as much as I love him, is a hell of a guy and lovable.  Nick was straight up boring, but we all loved his quiet professionalism.   Brian Roberts, choir boy.  Wieters, quiet professional.  I'm struggling to think of anyone that we had over the past few years that got on the other teams nerves.

But I don't care what anyone says, it's fun to be the villain sometimes.  Red Sox, perfect example...how much did we LOOOOOOATHE Ortiz?  Pedroia?  I can't stand either of those guys.  But we all know that if we were Red Sox fans, we'd LOVE them.  And we'd also love that other fans HATE them.  I loved knowing that other teams and fans hated Manny.  

Even though Manny is gone, I still view him as one of ours.  Probably will for awhile.  And I love that he's the villain.   

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, Manny is a bit of a douche.  I agree, a little disingenuous.  

But, I still like him.  Still want to see him win.  

Dunno, it's kinda like...I feel like we've never had a player that other teams and other fans love to hate.  We've mostly had a bunch of choir boys who aren't controversial.  Jones, as much as I love him, is a hell of a guy and lovable.  Nick was straight up boring, but we all loved his quiet professionalism.   Brian Roberts, choir boy.  Wieters, quiet professional.  I'm struggling to think of anyone that we had over the past few years that got on the other teams nerves.

But I don't care what anyone says, it's fun to be the villain sometimes.  Red Sox, perfect example...how much did we LOOOOOOATHE Ortiz?  Pedroia?  I can't stand either of those guys.  But we all know that if we were Red Sox fans, we'd LOVE them.  And we'd also love that other fans HATE them.  I loved knowing that other teams and fans hated Manny.  

Even though Manny is gone, I still view him as one of ours.  Probably will for awhile.  And I love that he's the villain.   

This.

• Upvote 1