Elias Progress Thread

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, section18 said:

When you say you will get into the free agent market late what does that mean?  When your manager says he wants to be competitive what does that mean to you ?

I never said anything  about not renewing my Birdland Membership.

It means, if there are quality assets like SP RP SS RF available for ML Minimum 1 year or Minor League sign with invite, then they will be interested.  Let's remember, that late is getting later every year.    It also means that there are going to be no big names signed. A two year contract on a def stud SS would be my guess as a luxury signing.  As long as by luxury, we mean 2M.

1 hour ago, section18 said:

When you say you will get into the free agent market late what does that mean?  When your manager says he wants to be competitive what does that mean to you ?

I never said anything  about not renewing my Birdland Membership.

I think you’re in denial.   “Get into the free agent market late” means pick up a couple of cheap pieces close to spring training.   “Be competitive” means they’re going to try to win every game and not go into the season openly acknowledging that they’re probably going to lose 100+ games.   Accept those facts and then decide if you want to buy season tickets.    Just don’t buy them and say they tricked you.    You’re only fooling yourself.   

By the way, it looks like my season ticket group is imploding, and I’m fine with that.    I’ll still go to plenty of games, but without the up front commitment.   I support what the team is doing.

• Upvote 1

It’s hard not to be excited about all the new changes, and what appears to be a new direction for ownership. Ownership appears genuinely committed to building this team the right way, and doing it with the right personnel, and making moves that appear to cast aside foolish, austere organizational principles of yesteryear.

I think the hardest part is settling in on Opening Day and realizing that this isn’t going to pay off for a few years. Looking at the roster today, 2019 is going to be an ugly season on the field. And worse, we’re not even sure if this new staff is any good at their jobs. Brandon Hyde could be legitimately awful.

1 hour ago, Enjoy Terror said:

It’s hard not to be excited about all the new changes, and what appears to be a new direction for ownership. Ownership appears genuinely committed to building this team the right way, and doing it with the right personnel, and making moves that appear to cast aside foolish, austere organizational principles of yesteryear.

I think the hardest part is settling in on Opening Day and realizing that this isn’t going to pay off for a few years. Looking at the roster today, 2019 is going to be an ugly season on the field. And worse, we’re not even sure if this new staff is any good at their jobs. Brandon Hyde could be legitimately awful.

While this is true, his hiring is one of the first things done by the new people committed to getting the right people and making the right moves.  Some of them are going to miss.  I have to believe Hyde is a good fit, at least for now.  And I have to believe that the bar is set so unbelievably low, that he will be fine.  Of course I believe 47 wins is not going to be repeated so...there is that.  What would a legitimately awful Hyde look like?  I shudder to even think.

19 minutes ago, foxfield said:

While this is true, his hiring is one of the first things done by the new people committed to getting the right people and making the right moves.  Some of them are going to miss.  I have to believe Hyde is a good fit, at least for now.  And I have to believe that the bar is set so unbelievably low, that he will be fine.  Of course I believe 47 wins is not going to be repeated so...there is that.  What would a legitimately awful Hyde look like?  I shudder to even think.

At least for his first year he would have a terrible team to shield him from being exposed as incompetent. The alternative is that this team exceeds expectations and he reaps the benefit.

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2019 at 7:58 AM, Frobby said:

I think you’re in denial.   “Get into the free agent market late” means pick up a couple of cheap pieces close to spring training.   “Be competitive” means they’re going to try to win every game and not go into the season openly acknowledging that they’re probably going to lose 100+ games.   Accept those facts and then decide if you want to buy season tickets.    Just don’t buy them and say they tricked you.    You’re only fooling yourself.   

By the way, it looks like my season ticket group is imploding, and I’m fine with that.    I’ll still go to plenty of games, but without the up front commitment.   I support what the team is doing.

I support what the team is doing too.