Orioles select SS Richie Martin with 1st pick of Rule 5 Draft

weams

2 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

I didn’t call anyone an idiot. The chances of him making it are zero, I don’t know what anyone could have seen in a guy who has no obvious gifts. He isn’t a strong fielder, which should have been obvious when scouting him. He can’t make contact with mlb pitching & when he does his soft contact % is over 31.

He is as useless as anyone in baseball & he’s 24 years old. There is nothing to work with. 

He was a former top pick who had a solid defensive reputation. If he was that good the A’s protect him. 

Just now, Cy Bundy said:

Just sign DJ Lemahiue & let he or Villar play SS. Obvious to me prior to the season, more obvious today. That concludes that.

Maybe for you it does. 

Why spend $25M plus on a player right now? Why not take a chance on a rookie? 

Villar can’t play SS either. 

The whole point right now is to not invest money on the MLB team and give young players a chance. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I was going to look into how the other guys were doing  but had not got around to it. Thanks for the info.

When you have a need at SS and what many said was the top pick is a SS it isn’t hard to understand why they took him. 

Here’s a post where I drilled down on the Rule 5 guys a little (read this one and scroll down):

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cy Bundy said:

If you don’t understand that DJ was more than worth 2 years 24 million, you’re far too stubborn to acknowledge the obvious. That move would have given us our best baseball player...offensively and defensively. I was correct. Shocking.

You don’t play guys just because they’re young, and 24 isn’t particularly young. NY could get 75 Martins for DJ if they wanted. Your argument is deteriorating rapidly. 

What world are you living in. 

There isn’t a person in the world who thinks Martin is better than DJ. That isn’t a move you make during a rebuild. If you can’t comprehend that I am wasting my time. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/11/2019 at 12:17 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

The Super Bowl crossed over into bombastic self-parody about 35 years ago, they can't stop now.  Get rid of Roman Numerals and they'll have to scale back the next halftime show, which is scheduled to be the living members of Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, Guns N Roses, a hologram of Elvis, 3500 life giraffes, six monster trucks, the Up With People dancers, an airburst of three tactical nukes, and Evil Knieval's step-godson riding a rocket hovercraft over a pool of lava.

This would literally be the best halftime show of all-time! :D

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Maybe for you it does. 

Why spend $25M plus on a player right now? Why not take a chance on a rookie? 

Villar can’t play SS either. 

The whole point right now is to not invest money on the MLB team and give young players a chance. 

I wouldn't want Villar on SS everyday, but he's fine to fill in here and there. He's got he tools but just doesn't have the hands of consistency you wold want from an everyday guy.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

I wouldn't want Villar on SS everyday, but he's fine to fill in here and there. He's got he tools but just doesn't have the hands of consistency you wold want from an everyday guy.

I agree. 

My whole point is anyone can pick out FA’s that are better players than a Rule 5 player or other waiver wire type pickups. It’s like saying Ocean City has more people on the beach in July than in December. 

Martin is exactly the kind of player a team like the Orioles should give a chance to.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cy Bundy said:

I know a team that could use both of them.

No you don't. The Orioles have found it tough enough to keep Givens on the roster all season. You have been going a bit off the rails and close to board infraction with your trash talk here. Maybe dial it back some.