Wieters and Rutschman

Just Regular

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

As long as the O's get the 6+ years out of him I don't care if he signs a minor league deal with the Cardinals three years later.

I think that's generally a perfectly reasonable approach to the draft. I want my #1 overall to be an Orioles HOFer though. 10+ years with a statue.

23 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I think that's generally a perfectly reasonable approach to the draft. I want my #1 overall to be an Orioles HOFer though. 10+ years with a statue.

Those are two very different standards. Based on historical Orioles Hall of Famer standards, Wieters WILL be and Orioles Hall of Famer. 10+ years with a statute is reserved for Baseball Hall of Famers.

Keith Law believes Rutschman is a weaker prospect than the last two players who went 1:1. Curious to see whether his opinion improves as Fangraphs' did when he sees him in a few weeks.

Robert
2:14
Adley feels like a pretty solid #1 talent. Better than recent years but perhaps not generational. How do you think he stacks up talent wise to recent 1s?

Keith Law
I'll see him in a few weeks, but I feel like he's below the last couple of 1-1 picks.

10 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Keith Law believes Rutschman is a weaker prospect than the last two players who went 1:1. Curious to see whether his opinion improves as Fangraphs' did when he sees him in a few weeks.

Robert
Adley feels like a pretty solid #1 talent. Better than recent years but perhaps not generational. How do you think he stacks up talent wise to recent 1s?

Keith Law
I'll see him in a few weeks, but I feel like he's below the last couple of 1-1 picks.

Everyone else is saying how good Rutschman looks so of course KLaw is down on him.

It's his pattern.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why not reserve judgement until you do see him?

That something he could have done right?

But we wouldn't be talking about him.

I guess so, but presumably he saw him last year, so I'm not sure why his opinion of him from then should be entirely disregarded.

45 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why not reserve judgement until you do see him?

That something he could have done right?

But we wouldn't be talking about him.

Ehh. Law isn't a likable person, but he is a really solid baseball analyst and a very independent thinker. I don't get the sense that all of the stuff he says to anger various fanbases is contrived at all. If he think's Adley's lower rated than the last two 1-1's, it's because that's his very real impression...and I personally take that impression seriously.

At least he did say he hasn't seen him yet this year. That leaves the door open for new/updated impressions.

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

Ehh. Law isn't a likable person, but he is a really solid baseball analyst and a very independent thinker. I don't get the sense that all of the stuff he says to anger various fanbases is contrived at all. If he think's Adley's lower rated than the last two 1-1's, it's because that's his very real impression...and I personally take that impression seriously.

At least he did say he hasn't seen him yet this year. That leaves the door open for new/updated impressions.

I think he most certainly makes the out of the field hot take for attention.  Like picking Tatis over Vlad.  Or when he proclaimed that Bundy wasn't one of the O's top 10 prospects.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think he most certainly makes the out of the field hot take for attention.  Like picking Tatis over Vlad.  Or when he proclaimed that Bundy wasn't one of the O's top 10 prospects.

That's the new media landscape, gotta do anything for clicks or else how can get audience attention when you're saying the same thing that everyone else is.

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You may be right. When I have seen him say controversial things, he seems to have a good rationale from my perspective. I don't follow him loyally though.

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Law was very high on Casey Mize (2018) but not that high on Royce Lewis (2017).    I’m surprised he’d say he doesn’t think Rutschman was as good as Lewis, except maybe with the benefit of hindsight, since Lewis is now a consensus top 10 prospect.    

http://www.espn.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post/_/id/8429

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=19619043

On 2/27/2019 at 9:31 AM, Frobby said:

If you think Vaughn will be a substantially better hitter than Rutschman, you can certainly make the case.    As measured by WAR, Joey Votto has been more valuable in 11+ years (58 WAR) than Joe Mauer was in his 14+ seasons (55), the last several of which were spent at 1B anyway.   Paul Goldschmidt (40 WAR through age 30) may end up being more valuable than Mauer.    Freddie Freeman (33 WAR through age 28) may get there.   And Mauer was one of the most valuable catchers ever, certainly the most valuable of the last 15 years.   

That said, you’d have to be very convinced of Vaughn’s bat to pick him over Rutschman.   

Does it bother anyone else that Vaughn is only 5’11”? You just don’t see a lot of 1b at that height.