Aubrey Huff opens up about addiction which began as an Oriole

Moshagge3

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t want to turn this into yet another CD thread, but why can’t Davis get adderall?  Doesn’t now he only get like concerta or something?  

Even from a medical point of view(armchair), wouldn’t the negatives of Aderall  be outweighed by the mental anguish that dude has to be going through?  

He gets what the doctors prescribe.  I am guessing their priority isn't what will make him the best ballplayer.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

Well, Adderall is just one particular blend of amphetamines. So sure, he could have had other kinds before this that didn't quite hook him in the same way.

Of course, I am not familiar with Adderall, my child was on Ritalin and that was used to treat ADHD.

The last thing I would do, was to call it an upper or amphetamine. It was more of a downer and it would clam the child down and help them not be climbing the walls because they could not focus their thoughts onto a single task.

I under college kids take it, to help them concentrate and study more.

I image the players take it, to concentrate on the pitch and block out all the other distractions.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t want to turn this into yet another CD thread, but why can’t Davis get adderall?  Doesn’t now he only get like concerta or something?  

Even from a medical point of view(armchair), wouldn’t the negatives of Aderall  be outweighed by the mental anguish that dude has to be going through?  

Davis takes Vyvanse.     It’s unclear to me if his doctor changed the prescription on his own, or whether it was changed only because MLB denied Davis a TUE for Adderall so the doctor switched him to Vyvanse in the hopes of getting him a TUE for that.    According to some sources, Vyvanse is less likely to be abused than Adderall.   https://www.healthline.com/health/adhd/vyvanse-vs-adderall#drugfeatures

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Of course, I am not familiar with Adderall, my child was on Ritalin and that was used to treat ADHD.

The last thing I would do, was to call it an upper or amphetamine. It was more of a downer and it would clam the child down and help them not be climbing the walls because they could not focus their thoughts onto a single task.

I under college kids take it, to help them concentrate and study more.

I image the players take it, to concentrate on the pitch and block out all the other distractions.

It is definitely an upper.  

12 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

I think it is very sad for some of these players in sports think that taking a drug will end your problems.

People in life.  Just think how many people are on anti-depressants and stuff like aderall. Plus people are on all sorts of pain killers.   All that stuff will shorten your life but no one cares as it makes big corporations tons of money. 

1 minute ago, atomic said:

It is definitely an upper.  

You are correct, I did some digging, as it confuses me how uppers could calm a person down. It does have amphetamine salts, and Ritalin was milder with no amphetamine in it.

Both are used in the central nervous system stimulants used to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

I found this explanation that helps me understand it better:

What does Adderall do for people with ADHD?

"Give them a stimulant and they're relatively back at 'normal'," Arnold says. "That's because these drugs hike up the neurotransmitter dopamine in the brain's reward center, which helps people feel more alert and attentive and has a calming effect."

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

People in life.  Just think how many people are on anti-depressants and stuff like aderall. Plus people are on all sorts of pain killers.   All that stuff will shorten your life but no one cares as it makes big corporations tons of money. 

Do people addicted to nicotine, think that they are cutting their lives short? No.

No matter what the addiction is, people don't think long term, the impact, they have the short term need, and that drives them.

8 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

You are correct, I did some digging, as it confuses me how uppers could calm a person down. It does have amphetamine salts, and Ritalin was milder with no amphetamine in it.

Both are used in the central nervous system stimulants used to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

I found this explanation that helps me understand it better:

ADHD is a somewhat dated label. If the medical community were to take another wack a naming it, I suspect it would be something more along the lines of Executive Function Disorder.

There are many different presentations of ADHD, but almost all of them are bookended by reduced executive function. A poor analogy for this would be that the head chef of of the brain can't get all their line cooks on the same page.

Some folks have trouble with inattentiveness and memory because their focus is constantly pulled away. Others have issues with impulse control because they can't filter out the part of their brain that's saying "I want to grab this interesting thing" from the part that's telling them "I really shouldn't take away the toy that my friend is currently playing with."

When treated with stimulants like Adderall or the equivalent generic, the executive function and related reward centers in the brain become stronger. When the medication is effective for a specific individual, they find that they can direct their attention where is ought to be and make sense of all the inputs their brain is receiving and order their actions accordingly.

Also, FWIW, the recreational dosage for most stimulants is considered to be much higher than the therapeutic dosage. Someone with the ADHD condition shouldn't be chasing a euphoric state from their dosage, but rather one where their symptoms are not causing issues with their day-to-day life. This can be tricky for some as ADHD is co-morbid with anxiety, depression, and learning disabilities. After you get to a baseline where you are no longer forgetting your keys or getting in trouble at work there may be other things to work on in order to be happy that an increased dosage is not the proper answer for.

I really appreciate Aubrey sharing his experiences. Can't be easy to do. The more honest discussion we're able to have about addiction, the better off we will all be in helping others in our communities who suffer from it.

I didn't read Aubrey's blog post as a story about an athlete turning to performance enhancing drugs, I read it as someone stuggling with mental health and depression. I read it as someone turning to a drug in a moment of weakness and having his life seriously damaged by it. That's something many people can relate to. And it's a story that can help those of us who haven't been in Aubrey's situation understand what others are going through when faced with addiction.

I hope the rest of the posters on this board can show respect to what Aubrey is doing here instead of trying to guess who offered him pills and whether Chris Davis needs to pay off a doctor to change his prescription. This is an issue we should give some respect to.

Archived