BEHOLD: Ongoing Lineup Thread, 2019

interloper

Mancini back in RF is certainly curious, although it's no big deal for me. I would guess it's a product of Davis being in the lineup and still wanting Nunez in there. TOR is going with a AAA callup RHP tonight, so it's a good opportunity for Davis. Rickard out because of the RHP. Keep the power bats in there. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I count three.  Unless you think Davis is good at first or Mullins has the arm for center.

I do think Davis is good at first (Is Mancini better? I don't think we can say that at this point). And I think Mullins makes up for it with his speed/who cares if a guy takes an extra base here or there in year 1 of a rebuild with your actual CF injured and in AAA. It's not like Rickard has a big arm and Jackson is completely unproven as a CF. 

Just now, interloper said:

I do think Davis is good at first (Is Mancini better? I don't think we can say that at this point). And I think Mullins makes up for it with his speed/who cares if a guy takes an extra base here or there in year 1 of a rebuild with your actual CF injured and in AAA. 

Look, I'm OK with them playing there.  I just don't want folks saying defense is the priority of it isn't.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Look, I'm OK with them playing there.  I just don't want folks saying defense is the priority of it isn't.

I don't know if the O's have really said "defense is THE priority" so I agree with you if people here are saying that. I think it was a priority to improve it, which I think they've pretty clearly done. I think they'll still cut a couple corners to get their best bats in there/give Davis a fair shake at improving in the early going.

I'm just glad we're not playing Trumbo in RF in order to make sure Pedro Alvarez gets in the lineup. Guh. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, interloper said:

Mancini back in RF is certainly curious, although it's no big deal for me. I would guess it's a product of Davis being in the lineup and still wanting Nunez in there. TOR is going with a AAA callup RHP tonight, so it's a good opportunity for Davis. Rickard out because of the RHP. Keep the power bats in there. 

Correction: Keep the power bats in there and Davis.

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I count three.  Unless you think Davis is good at first or Mullins has the arm for center.

I think you can make a case that Mullins and Davis are as good or better defensively than anyone on our roster at their positions. If not, it's damn close at best for their backups.

Mancini/Nunez over Rickard/Mancini is not defense first, so coaches must like Nunez's bat.

The elephant is Davis, who even with good D is a net negative, but he's a special case and we all know that.

5 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I think you can make a case that Mullins and Davis are as good or better defensively than anyone on our roster at their positions. If not, it's damn close at best for their backups.

Mancini/Nunez over Rickard/Mancini is not defense first, so coaches must like Nunez's bat.

The elephant is Davis, who even with good D is a net negative, but he's a special case and we all know that.

In which case the roster shows that defense is not the main priority.

Like I said, I'm fine with it, I just don't like folks saying it's the priority when it isn't.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

In which case the roster shows that defense is not the main priority.

Like I said, I'm fine with it, I just don't like folks saying it's the priority when it isn't.

I'm assuming Davis is out of this discussion, right?

In all seriousness, outside of him, how would the roster look different if we met your definition of defense first? I'm sure there's a track star out there somewhere ready to play CF, but Mullins has a good defensive track record minus the arm, and enough offsensive upside that he's worth playing, IMO.