3/5 of the Rotation Today?

Bahama O's Fan

This is going to be ugly.  I have very little faith in Cashner or Bundy to be any better than last season.  If anything, they'll be worse.  No wonder they're focusing on defense, because there are going to be plenty of opportunities.

14 minutes ago, esmd said:

This is going to be ugly.  I have very little faith in Cashner or Bundy to be any better than last season.  If anything, they'll be worse.  No wonder they're focusing on defense, because there are going to be plenty of opportunities.

We should lead the league in turning double plays, because there will be so many runners on base.

Other than  Cobb, is it possible we do not have a single starter another team would slot into a rotation?

Does it really seem like we are going to use bullpen sessions to eat innings?

Is it possible the lack of pitching depth is a big reason why none of the kids stayed with the team as it came north?

i am going to try and not judge, players, front office, etc and see where this thing takes us this year.  It could be bumpy but we should try and marvel at the process and hope it sets the stage for a future Crown!

14 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Other than  Cobb, is it possible we do not have a single starter another team would slot into a rotation?

Is it possible the lack of pitching depth is a big reason why none of the kids stayed with the team as it came north?

i am going to try and not judge, players, front office, etc and see where this thing takes us this year.  It could be bumpy but we should try and marvel at the process and hope it sets the stage for a future Crown!

I think Bundy and Cashner are 5th starters on a good team.  Cobb is probably a 3 or a 4. 

4 hours ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

Largely agree with much of this. This thing is going to be highly unorthodox this year, with a few starters, a few openers, and a lot of mixing and matching throughout the middle innings to get by with guys that can give us 2-3 inning stints. Going to be a bit of a struggle, but will be interesting, if nothing else, to see us cover a LOT of mop up innings. 

This, as we all know, will not be a fun year.

They are going to have to be bringing people up and down in droves to get through the season this way. 

12 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

I think that if Bundy pitches like he did from late June '18 onward, he will be removed from the rotation.

Unless Bundy is injured he isn't going to be removed from the rotation. 

2 hours ago, esmd said:

Bundy has a number of indicators that suggest he could positively regress.  XFIP was lower than ERA, strand rate was significantly below league average, BABiP was high.

2 hours ago, foxfield said:

Given past history another team would probably just fix them and profit.

6 hours ago, atomic said:

They are going to have to be bringing people up and down in droves to get through the season this way. 

Quite possibly. Though I’m interested in seeing how frequently guys can pitch if they are throwing ~3 innings each time out.

We are certainly in uncharted territory philosophically, at least in terms of what we have seen in Baltimore.

9 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Bundy has a number of indicators that suggest he could positively regress.  XFIP was lower than ERA, strand rate was significantly below league average, BABiP was high.

He was very good in April while he was carrying a 92-94 MPH fastball.  He was terrible in May, July, August, and September sitting at 89-91. He put up very good numbers in June.  I do not recall if the fastball velocity ticked back up that month or if he was just locating really well. because I was pretty much tuned out at that point. 

It's comforting to quote those BABIP and XFIP #'s, but if he's carrying that weak **** (89-91) it's going to be another 5+ ERA kind of season.  

Archived