Dylan Bundy 2019

Frobby

Both Hyde and Dave Johnson credited Bundy’s success to being willing to work on the inner part of the plate.   

To me, he had pretty good command of all four pitches and was able to keep the hitters off balance all night.    It was a pleasure to see it in person.   

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Both Hyde and Dave Johnson credited Bundys success to being willing to work on the inner part of the plate.   

To me, he had pretty good command of all four pitches, and was able to keep the hitters off balance all night. It was a pleasure to see it in person.   

o

You saw the game in person ???

I didn't see the game in person.

You bastard.

o

15 minutes ago, connja said:

How was the velocity yesterday?  

Up to 93, but 91-92 for the majority of the night. 

It was nice to see a pitch that was more cutter than slider, several times, in on lefties. The high tight fb was a bit too predictable on the inner half to lhb in previous starts. The change has the chance to become glorious. 

18 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o64% of the outs that Bundy recorded (14 out of 22) came via the Strikeout and the Groundout.

The unexpected retro performance by Bundy was mildly reminiscent of Brad Bergesen's Complete Game-Shutout against the Rays in May of 2011, 2 years after his excellent 2009 season was cut short by a line drive that broke his leg.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TBA/TBA201105140.shtmlo

I’m wondering why you picked out the Bergesen game as a comp.    I was at that game, as well as the one last night (yes, I know, I was a bastard both times).    Obviously they were both well-pitched games, but I can’t say I would have connected the two.

20 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

The unexpected retro performance by Bundy was mildly reminiscent of Brad Bergesen's Complete Game-Shutout against the Rays in May of 2011, 2 years after his excellent 2009 season was cut short by a line drive that broke his leg.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TBA/TBA201105140.shtml

o

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’m wondering why you picked out the Bergesen game as a comp. I was at that game, as well as the one last night (yes, I know, I was a bastard both times.) Obviously they were both well-pitched games, but I cant say that I would have connected the two.

o

Both pitchers had been significantly more successful several years earlier than they had been in the immediate 1-plus years of struggling (2010 and early 2011 for Bergesen, and 2018 and early 2019 for Bundy. Prior to that, Bergesen had had an excellent 2009 season, and Bundy had had good seasons in 2017 and 2016.

Then, quite unexpectedly, both pitchers reached back for an outstanding game of goose-eggs (9 innings for Bergesen, 7.33 innings for Bundy), displaying (ever-so-briefly) the kind of pitchers that they once were ........ for Bergesen, it was one final moment of excellence as a staring pitcher in a brief career that had showed much promise several years earlier ........ for Bundy, it remains to be seen if last night's game was the same as it was for Bergesen in May of 2011, or if he indeed can somehow manage to return to his previous status of being a relatively reliable and successful starting pitcher.

o

o

60% of the outs that Bundy recorded (9 out of 15) came via the Strikeout and the Groundout.

All 3 Runs that he ceded came vis 2 Albert Pujols Home Runs.

15 OUTS: ) 6 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 3 Flyouts, 2 Strikeouts, 2 Popouts, 1 Lineouts

DYLAN MATTHEW BUNDY ))))))) (vs. ANGELS, 5/11)

IP:lll5

H:lll4 )(2 Home Runs, 2 Singles)

R:lllll 3

BB:ll2

SO:ll2

Pitches: ll)80 )(48)Strikes, )32)Balls)

2019 ERA: ))5.31  ))  40.67 IP  (24 ER) 

2019 WHIP: ))1.303  ))  40.67 IP  (53 H/BB)

2019 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )).242 ) (37 for 153)

PITCHES BY INNING

11 lll(81 llStrikes, lll31 lBalls)

15 ll(11 llStrikes, lll41lllBalls)

18 lll(10 llStrikes, lll81lllBalls)

14 lll(91 llStrikes, lll51lllBalls)

22 llll(12 llStrikes, ll10 lllBalls)

o

22 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

He only had 80 pitches before being pulled then the pen blew up and gave up 3 er in the sixth.

The Sun said lowest average fastball velocity ever in a ML start for Bundy,89.8. Pitches also all over the place with a few wild pitches. Some concern with his low velocity and pitch control. 

Hyde said taken out because velocity kept dropping in inning plus didn't look right.Bundy said he was ok.

Last year, Chris Tillman started out by losing his first four decisions.  He was just awful.

Then he was brilliant against the Tigers in his fifth game, pitching seven innings of one-hit, shutout baseball to pick up his first win.  Some of us dared to hope that Tillman had finally rediscovered the form that had enabled him to win 66 games over the four-year period from 2013-2016.

But in his next outing he was just awful again, giving up seven runs on seven hits and a walk in just one inning of work against the Angels.  And when he followed that up by allowing six runs on four hits and three walks in 1 1/3 innings against the Royals, it marked the end of his Oriole career and, it appears, probably his major league career as well.

This year, Dylan Bundy has started out by losing his first four decisions, though he wasn't quite as bad as Tillman had been in losing his first four the previous year.  Then he was outstanding against the Rays, pitching 7 1/3 innings of three-hit, shutout baseball to pick up his first win.

Boy, I was hoping that, unlike Tillman, Bundy would come back and pitch really well again in his next start.

But, though he wasn't as bad against the Angels today in getting his fifth loss as Tillman was last year in getting his fifth loss, he fell quite a bit short of inspiring a great deal of confidence about how he's going to do the rest of this season.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, WillyM said:

Last year, Chris Tillman started out by losing his first four decisions.  He was just awful.

Then he was brilliant against the Tigers in his fifth game, pitching seven innings of one-hit, shutout baseball to pick up his first win.  Some of us dared to hope that Tillman had finally rediscovered the form that had enabled him to win 66 games over the four-year period from 2013-2016.

But in his next outing he was just awful again, giving up seven runs on seven hits and a walk in just one inning of work against the Angels.  And when he followed that up by allowing six runs on four hits and three walks in 1 1/3 innings against the Royals, it marked the end of his Oriole career and, it appears, probably his major league career as well.

This year, Dylan Bundy has started out by losing his first four decisions, though he wasn't quite as bad as Tillman had been in losing his first four the previous year.  Then he was outstanding against the Rays, pitching 7 1/3 innings of three-hit, shutout baseball to pick up his first win.

Boy, I was hoping that, unlike Tillman, Bundy would come back and pitch really well again in his next start.

But, though he wasn't as bad against the Angels today in getting his fifth loss as Tillman was last year in getting his fifth loss, he fell quite a bit short of inspiring a great deal of confidence about how he's going to do the rest of this season.

Who?

You?

Hard to imagine anyone else did.

Bundy hasn't looked good but he hasn't looked HTH did this guy get a ML contract bad like Tillman did last year.

Bundy's ERA is a full five runs lower.

13 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Bundy is just someone that everything has to be exactly on to succeed which is probably 1/4 starts at best.   He has no fastball worth speaking of at all. 

Sums up how I feel.  The stuff just isn't there to have him have a good start almost every time out.  

I didn't watch the game today but 4 hits in 5 innings isn't bad.  Of course, he can't keep the ball in the park and as great as Albert Pujols was...giving up 2 homers to 2019 Albert Pujols is pretty bad.  

Don't know if he'll throw a gem or if he'll struggle to get through 5 or if he'll be downright terrible.  Odds are usually on the latter two.