Delmarva Shorebirds 2019

Frobby

I was looking up Delmarva’s coaching staff because whoever is on it deserves promotions. I heard the Manager on 105.7 a few weeks ago and he came across really well. Two questions,

Is Pat Leyland Jim Leyland’s son?

Is the hitting coach Adrian Gonzalez the former big leaguer?

https://www.milb.com/delmarva/news/2019-shorebirds-coaching-staff-announced/c-303697774

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I was looking up Delmarva’s coaching staff because whoever is on it deserves promotions. I heard the Manager on 105.7 a few weeks ago and he came across really well. Two questions,

https://www.milb.com/delmarva/news/2019-shorebirds-coaching-staff-announced/c-303697774

Yes Pay Leyland is Jim Leyland's son: https://www.milb.com/milb/news/pat-leyland-embracing-coaching-role-with-baysox/c-291538648

8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don't think so.  His name (in your link) is hyper-linked to the former player's page, but that may be a mistake or automatic.

From the text in you link:

"Adrian Gonzalez enters his second season as Athletic Trainer with Delmarva after serving in the same role for Aberdeen in 2017 and the GCL in 2015-16."

I believe the former big leaguer was still playing during that time frame.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The Shorebirds appear intent on proving their first half success was not a fluke.    After winning the first half title at 48-21, Delmarva is 13-4 to begin the second half.    

Maybe the plan is to build a culture of winning in the low minors before moving guys up.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

This Is going to be fun to follow down the stretch. They have one of the best records in the minors and they are adding our reinforcements from lower levels. Recent draft picks Rizer and Watson are on the team. Breakout SP Stauffer got called up from Aberdeen.

AR will be there before it’s all said and done. 

I imagine we could see more recent draftees in Welk, Stowers, and Daschbach on the hitting side. We have lots of Pitchers performing in Aberdeen and the GCL that could come up as well. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

This Is going to be fun to follow down the stretch. They have one of the best records in the minors and they are adding our reinforcements from lower levels. Recent draft picks Rizer and Watson are on the team. Breakout SP Stauffer got called up from Aberdeen.

AR will be there before it’s all said and done. 

I imagine we could see more recent draftees in Welk, Stowers, and Daschbach on the hitting side. We have lots of Pitchers performing in Aberdeen and the GCL that could come up as well. 

Don't overlook Dallas Litscher either, he was promoted with Rizer and Watson.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Shorebirds have slipped a little lately and are now tied with the Hickory Crawdads for the second half Northern Division title with a week to play.    While it would be nice to claim both the first and second half titles, it will have no practical consequence in the playoffs.   Hickory has the second best record in the division for the full season, and if they do not win the second half title they will still be Delmarva’s opponent in the first round of the playoffs.    And, as the first half winner, Delmarva has home field advantage in Game 2 and, if necessary, Game 3.     It’s a best of 3 series.    

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

The Shorebirds have slipped a little lately and are now tied with the Hickory Crawdads for the second half Northern Division title with a week to play.    While it would be nice to claim both the first and second half titles, it will have no practical consequence in the playoffs.   Hickory has the second best record in the division for the full season, and if they do not win the second half title they will still be Delmarva’s opponent in the first round of the playoffs.    And, as the first half winner, Delmarva has home field advantage in Game 2 and, if necessary, Game 3.     It’s a best of 3 series.    

I hope the MLB Wild Card game turns into a best of 3 one day