Dan Straily 2019

interloper

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good fit for both.  To me, he's one of the best poster children for the generation of 4th and 5th starters being unseated by the rising middle-distance pitchers.  The old poles of 6 IP starter and 1 IP reliever are melting.

All of Straily, Cashner and Cobb hit me at the level of guys whose medium-term desirability to clubs will be enhanced if they can not be discombobulated when an opener pushes their warm-up routine to after the National Anthem.  Those rhythms are deeply ingrained in their baseball DNA though, I'm sure.

It'll help his July trade value if that competency can be incubated in the next three months.  Let Tanner Scott take care of the top half of lefty heavy lineups.

11 hours ago, wildcard said:

Straily has 4.126 years on service time which means he is under the O's control next season if they want him.

I really like this move.    Potentially it stabilizes our rotation in a big way, and cheaply.    And having a relatively cheap option for next year is nice.    

17 minutes ago, TouchemAll said:

575K that's almost and outright steal JMHO...

I really would love to know what his other offers were. Even with the trade bonus he's making about what Karns is making, who hasn't pitched successfully in over a year. 

Great move.

Alex Cobb (31)- 2.8 WAR over past three seasons. Making $14 million this season. 

Andrew Cashner (32)- 4.6 WAR over past three seasons. Making $8 million this season.

Dan Straily (30)- 5.7 WAR over past three seasons. Making just 500k this season.

• weams changed the title to Orioles Sign Dan Straily
On 3/25/2019 at 7:46 AM, Aglets said:

If we claim him I imagine we're on the hook for the rest of his salary.   Which still seems pretty cheap.

But I mean............

We also weren't willing to offer Gio Gonzalez a $3M contract apparently so............................I doubt we will be in on this, despite how much sense it seems to make.

I am much happier with the Orioles commitment at $575,000

2 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Why can’t they do that with Davis? 

?

Players with more than three years of Major League service time or who have been previously outrighted may reject the outright assignment in favor of free agency.   Chris Davis has 9.061 service time AND is  a SCOTT BORIS client.

Archived