DJ Stewart 2019

Frobby

So far I would not argue with these rating from Orioles.com

Stewart:

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 45 | Run: 45 | Arm: 40 | Field: 45 | Overall: 45

Mountcastle:

Scouting grades: Hit: 55 | Power: 55 | Run: 45 | Arm: 40 | Field: 45 | Overall: 55

But I want to see more.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

How are we feeling about Stewart's second big league stint? I'm not really sure how to feel because it's only 100-some ABs. Nevertheless:

2018: 40 AB, .890

2019: 115 AB, .596

Neither tells us anything, really. You hope the truth lies somewhere in the middle, at least, like a .790 maybe. 

I'm hoping he's more Christian Walker than Brandon Snyder, but I get both vibes from him simultaneously from a prospect standpoint. 

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

How are we feeling about Stewart's second big league stint? I'm not really sure how to feel because it's only 100-some ABs. Nevertheless:

Neither tells us anything, really. You hope the truth lies somewhere in the middle, at least, like a .790 maybe. 

I'm hoping he's more Christian Walker than Brandon Snyder, but I get both vibes from him simultaneously from a prospect standpoint. 

He'd have to hit like Manny Ramirez to make up for his defense.... and he is no Manny Ramirez.

Organization guy, hopefully he won't get too many ML AB's before we settle on a ML corner OF'er (Diaz perhaps).

38 minutes ago, interloper said:

Still haven't seen enough to pass judgment either way. The reports are that his defense was playable so I am still sticking with that over a handful of bad plays. I would much rather see him out there than Smith or Wilkerson, because I have a much more solidified opinion as to whether they can be starting corner outfielders at the MLB level.

Hope he has a chance to win an every day corner outfield job in the spring. I don't expect to see Diaz until after the All Star Break at the very earliest, based on how much time he spent at AA and how long Mountcastle was at Norfolk.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm hoping he's more Christian Walker than Brandon Snyder, but I get both vibes from him simultaneously from a prospect standpoint

Markakis RF

Yastrzemski, M CF

Walker 1B

Cruz DH

Machado 3B

Jones LF

Wieters C

Valera 2B

Flaherty SS

RIckard, defensive replacement in OF / Pinchhitter, pinchrunner

To qualify for this lineup, player had to be either lost as Free Agent or traded for so-far insignificant players.

43 minutes ago, interloper said:

So he'll go somewhere else and find success. xD

Stewart's numbers at AAA have earned hm a long look IMO.    

230 AB, 12 HR,  47 RBI, 283/397/550/948  at AAA shows the potential to hit 20 HR and drive 100.  His OBP potential seen very good.

His defense looks below average to me.  That could cost him a starting OF or DH spot with the O's.   Hays and Santander both look better defensive and Mountcastle is more highly touted and will get every chance to become a regular position player where ever he lands.

Stewart's numbers in September are poor but that should not cost him a 40 man roster  spot nor a chance to show he can be an asset to the team next season.  I look at him as a 4th OF at least until Diaz arrives.   He has 2 options remaining.

Truthfully, Stewart has been unimpressive in his major league stint this year.    Still, he does generally show command of the strike zone and a good approach at the plate.    His strikeout rate is better than the major league average.    So, I expect he’s got a good shot to make the 26-man roster next spring.    

16 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Still haven't seen enough to pass judgment either way. The reports are that his defense was playable so I am still sticking with that over a handful of bad plays. I would much rather see him out there than Smith or Wilkerson, because I have a much more solidified opinion as to whether they can be starting corner outfielders at the MLB level.

Hope he has a chance to win an every day corner outfield job in the spring. I don't expect to see Diaz until after the All Star Break at the very earliest, based on how much time he spent at AA and how long Mountcastle was at Norfolk.

Definitely agree here. I'm all for letting him sink or swim for as long as possible. It would be nice for him to make the team out of ST for once and get a chance to relax and feel part of the team. I would say right now he's pressing more than he's being beat by ML pitching, but I have no actual idea.

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

Truthfully, Stewart has been unimpressive in his major league stint this year.    Still, he does generally show command of the strike zone and a good approach at the plate.    His strikeout rate is better than the major league average.    So, I expect he’s got a good shot to make the 26-man roster next spring.    

Why??

What will it take for the O's and OH posters to recognize the importance of purging the plethora of DH/1B from the 26 man roster.

He can't field, he maybe can hit a little. They can keep him and cut Nunez, but I think Nunez is a better hitter.

6 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Why??

What will it take for the O's and OH posters to recognize the importance of purging the plethora of DH/1B from the 26 man roster.

He can't field, he maybe can hit a little. They can keep him and cut Nunez, but I think Nunez is a better hitter.

Despite some embarrassing plays it takes more than 31 games in the outfield to properly judge a player.

I remember him looking average last year in 13 games.