Trade Value Power Rankings

El_Duderino

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like they don't consider Bundy to be on the trading block.  Odd that they would include Mancini but not Bundy.  

I disagree that Givens and Cashner have more value than Mancini.  Cashner is two month rental and Givens has not been good since 2017.  

Just now, ChuckS said:

Looks like they don't consider Bundy to be on the trading block.  Odd that they would include Mancini but not Bundy.  

I disagree that Givens and Cashner have more value than Mancini.  Cashner is two month rental and Givens has not been good since 2017.  

Agree.  Based on this information, the article might’ve been just filler. Villar isn’t a bad player but has really played sloppy lately, in the field and on the bases. Mancini May have some value, but not enough to warrant trading him. Cashner and Givens whaaaa??

nojustno.

Givens is earning only $2.15MM this year and is controllable for two more seasons. You might wonder whether he’s even really marketable at this point. I’d argue he is. Though he has been shredded by home runs, along with the rest of the Orioles staff, Givens is sitting at a customary 95+ mph with his heater and is getting swings and misses at a career-best 14.9% rate. Plenty of teams around the game would love to get ahold of Givens and his powerful right arm.” 

I agree. The control and upside outweigh the rough stretch. Unfortunately there are 8-10 better relievers also on the market. 

6 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

Givens is earning only $2.15MM this year and is controllable for two more seasons. You might wonder whether he’s even really marketable at this point. I’d argue he is. Though he has been shredded by home runs, along with the rest of the Orioles staff, Givens is sitting at a customary 95+ mph with his heater and is getting swings and misses at a career-best 14.9% rate. Plenty of teams around the game would love to get ahold of Givens and his powerful right arm.” 

I agree. The control and upside outweigh the rough stretch. Unfortunately there are 8-10 better relievers also on the market. 

What would he bring back? If we DFA-ed him, everyone would want him, but who would give up anything reasonable for him? I don’t especially care, because he won’t be on the next .500 team anyway, but he won’t bring back anything meaningful.

14 minutes ago, Philip said:

What would he bring back? If we DFA-ed him, everyone would want him, but who would give up anything reasonable for him? I don’t especially care, because he won’t be on the next .500 team anyway, but he won’t bring back anything meaningful.

Right now? No clue, teams don’t usually sell controllable talent at its absolute low point. Even so, I think he fetches more than anyone we currently have...unless Bundy goes on a tear.

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

Decent Starting pitching is hard to find.  First basemen grow on trees.

Just now, atomic said:

Decent Starting pitching is hard to find.  First basemen grow on trees.

Cashner has a 4.88 FIP.  5.32 last year..  

There will be more players like him available than there will be cost-controlled first baseman/corner outfielders putting up a .900 plus OPS. 

8 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Cashner has a 4.88 FIP.  5.32 last year..  

There will be more players like him available than there will be cost-controlled first baseman/corner outfielders putting up a .900 plus OPS. 

FIP is a pretty meaningless stat. 

2 hours ago, atomic said:

FIP is a pretty meaningless stat. 

First I've heard of that opinion.  Do you prefer ERA?  It's in the same range. 

What statistic that is meaningful would you prefer to use in showing Cashner's value?  

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

What statistic is meaningful would you prefer to use in showing Cashner's value?  

I think I’ve read that xFIP is considerably better, but I’d need to hunt for proof.   

15 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

What statistic is meaningful would you prefer to use in showing Cashner's value?  

Of course it is meaningless.  If it were valid we could judge hitters by the same criteria.  Anyway WHIP and ERA plus would be better ones. Teams like the Red Sox, Rangers, Indians , Twins, Athletics, could use him.  Basically any time with playoff ambitions he would be better than their current 5th starter.

Archived