2019 1st round pick (1): Adley Rutschman - Catcher - Oregon State University

If you listen to the whole interview, it was clear that Elias was only talking about how much more they want Rutschman to catch this year due to the number of innings he’s already caught during the college season.  They want him to get at bats, but limit his time behind the plate for the rest of this season.  None of this was about a position change.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

If you listen to the whole interview, it was clear that Elias was only talking about how much more they want Rutschman to catch this year due to the number of innings he’s already caught during the college season.  They want him to get at bats, but limit his time behind the plate for the rest of this season.  None of this was about a position change.

Yep

4 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Agreed. My dad had me calling the game as a ten year old playing with older kids. A lot of my understanding about pitching came from the knowledge I developed as a catcher.

Let me your idea a step farther.  Tell me what yall think.

A good coach encourages you to think and, in some ways, teaches you to think.

I always give this math example.  How do you add 99 to a number, mentally?

Math was my thing as a kid, so I was fortunate to alone pick up the concept of adding 100 and subtracting 1.  This is a simplified and non-baseball example of the message I try to push to kids when I coach, help out, speak, etc.

As a catcher, I believe you pick up many of these things.  You are also challenged to discover other things like this yourself.

Let's begin with Tony's example as handsome 15-year-old.  We can even ignore than Tony knew the hitter couldn't hit a breaking pitch and ignore that tony was squatting a fart away from the hitter every plate appearance, knew the umpire, knew his pitcher, etc.

How many 15-year-old hitters are good curveball hitters?  How many are expecting one in a 2-1 count?  All that kid's life you know he has been tough to not swing at the CB when ahead in the count.  If Tony calls the curveball, say the pitcher misses it.  Still, you have a man on base.  You still aren't serving up a cookie.  If you THINK you can get away with a borderline FB, maybe try it.  The only reason I say try the FB is b/c he will expect it on the 3-2 count and you can punch him out with even a get-me-over breaking pitch.

Nonetheless, the hitter's job up there is not to walk--it is to win the game.  Unless the pitcher has no control--and it IS an all-star game--that extra base runner is for the pitcher's comfort only.  The 2-1 fastball is just what the kid wants and it's a walk-off.

That coach was either obsessed with having control over teenagers, or he never thought himself into that 2-out 2-1 count situation with tying and go-ahead runners in scoring position.  The easy thing to do is say "2-1, so the book says throw a fastball."  God forbid the pitcher goes to 3-1 and then walks the dude.  Then the bases are loaded and.... that means absolutely nothing, coach.  A maniac personalty and thinking only inside his comfortable box cost his team the game.  And I'm sure he ripped someone else for it.  

I've lost games before as a coach and it sucks.  And I am loud and clear when I am wrong.  Not because I am holier than thou, but because it was a teaching opportunity.

Learn to think!  It comes easiest to catchers!  But anyone can do it or encourage it to your son.  It applies to everything in life.  And make mistakes, own them and explain them.  Thinking on another level is the fun way to play the game.

5 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Agreed. My dad had me calling the game as a ten year old playing with older kids. A lot of my understanding about pitching came from the knowledge I developed as a catcher.

Funny, when I was a 10-year old kid the pitchers only knew how to throw one pitch.

• Haha 1

My son has already checked the Ironbirds schedule and they are away at Brooklyn and Hudson Valley before he heads off to camp. Have to see if AR signs relatively quickly and starts with the Ironbirds at the start of the NY Penn season.  

Last year, both top college hitters taken early India and Bohm spent between 11-17 games with short-season teams getting between 32-54 ABs each before being promoted to full-season Low A.  I would expect something similar for AR.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Funny, when I was a 10-year old kid the pitchers only knew how to throw one pitch.

Mostly, but we were taught change of speeds. Fastball-CH was taught to all pitchers who played for my dad. If you couldn’t throw a CH you didn’t pitch.

At 11 I was one of few kids to throw a CU. Not recommended, but I only threw one game, a no-hitter, and our team went on to be undefeated and win the league championship.

3 hours ago, hoosiers said:

My son has already checked the Ironbirds schedule and they are away at Brooklyn and Hudson Valley before he heads off to camp. Have to see if AR signs relatively quickly and starts with the Ironbirds at the start of the NY Penn season.  

Last year, both top college hitters taken early India and Bohm spent between 11-17 games with short-season teams getting between 32-54 ABs each before being promoted to full-season Low A.  I would expect something similar for AR.

It should be fun times to be an Orioles MiLB fan. 

7 hours ago, PeteCanes said:

nice to see us take the obvious pick 

Agreed. Glad I’m not sitting here trying to defend/explain an oddball, unconventional pick to my NYY, and ATL (live in SC) fan buddies. Pleasant to just receive a bunch of “Damn. Nice pick dude.”-type texts.

At any rate, one seemingly centerpiece/franchise-type player added to the rebuild. Hopefully get another one in 12 mos...

Edited by Eddie_Murray33

9 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Thanks for the context. I didn't hear the interview but that makes much more sense.

• Upvote 1