2019-2020 International Signings Thread

3 minutes ago, odogs101 said:

Baltimore’s international class is also expected to include right-handed pitchers Raul Rangel and Moises Chace of Venezuela, along with shortstop Leonel Sanchez of the D.R.

Additionally, the Orioles are expected to sign catcher Kenny Baez, right-handed pitcher Edgar Portes, along with shortstops Alexander Sanchez and Roberto Martinez, who are all from the Dominican Republic.

Top international prospects signings

Expect the Orioles to be busy in the years to come. Many of the top international prospects in this year’s class, and even some in the 2020-21 class, had already picked a team when Perez took over in early January. The club shifted its focus to finding late bloomers for the current period while also scouting future classes.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Optimistic that we’re finally fully engaged in using this as a source for talent.  But, have never heard of a single one of these guys.  They’ll all spend the next year or two in the Dominican at a version of extended spring training or the DSL.  By the time one or two of them reach Sarasota, someone here will have to remind us where they came from.

I am sure you heard the name Luis Ortiz before so clearly you have heard of at least one of them. lol

3 hours ago, interloper said:

I've seen that Rogers video before and man does that bat look slow. Lol. 

I'm no scout but a lot of wasted motion in both his hitting and his fielding/throwing. Our coaches will tune that up tho.

17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Eric Cains RHP DR

That name does not sound Dominican at all. 

I remember reading an article years back that some parents actually take their kid from the US down to DR to avoid the whole draft process.  They can get into pro ball quicker, choose the team they want to go to and get a decent chunk of money compared to being drafted in the 10th round(arbitrary number not an exact number from the article).  It has been a long time since I read it, and dont remember all the details and this may not be the case for this kid but I dont think it is a wide spread thing or we would hear more about it.

2 minutes ago, sevastras said:

I remember reading an article years back that some parents actually take their kid from the US down to DR to avoid the whole draft process.  They can get into pro ball quicker, choose the team they want to go to and get a decent chunk of money compared to being drafted in the 10th round(arbitrary number not an exact number from the article).  It has been a long time since I read it, and dont remember all the details and this may not be the case for this kid but I dont think it is a wide spread thing or we would hear more about it.

Looks like his name is actually spelled Erick.  

Good summary, I wouldn't be surprised about this.

3 minutes ago, sevastras said:

All 27 players are either pitchers, SS, OF and 1 catcher.  Not that they will all stick to SS, but that lends me to believe that they were all some of the most athletic players on their respective teams.

At 16 yea, I think they are all pretty much shortstops or pitchers.