2019 Trade Deadline

sportsfan8703

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Givens will lose a postseason, not help to win one.  Can't believe he's in high demand but we'll see either by what he's dealt for or even more so if he's not dealt at all.  Been saying this before today's game.

Which is why I think he's traded to a team that already has late inning options likes the dodgers or even the yankees. 

58 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

MLB Pipeline has Kay and Woods-Richardson as the Mets #4 and #6 prospects. Fangraphs has them at #8 and #9. MLB Pipeline has Kay as a 55 and Woods-Richardson as a 50. Fangraphs has them both as 45s. If Fangraphs is right, that is a reasonable price for Stroman, if MLB Pipeline is right, the Mets are Metsing.

Not a big fan of Stroman?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Mets are done this year so you are really looking at him for just 2020 and he's going to be pricey.  You can like him and not see a lot of excess value.

yeah, considering it's the Mets and rumor has it they're trading Syndergaard... just seems like shuffling deck chairs.

28 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Givens will lose a postseason, not help to win one.  Can't believe he's in high demand but we'll see either by what he's dealt for or even more so if he's not dealt at all.  Been saying this before today's game.

Yep, me too. Totally agree with this assessment. Givens doesn’t put a playoff contender over the top in the bullpen and might even cost them.

And I was a big believer in him the first few years.

20 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Yep, me too. Totally agree with this assessment. Givens doesn’t put a playoff contender over the top in the bullpen and might even cost them.

And I was a big believer in him the first few years.

He's better suited for the 7-8 innings. He's certainly struggled as a closer/finisher 

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Mets are done this year so you are really looking at him for just 2020 and he's going to be pricey.  You can like him and not see a lot of excess value.

It makes no sense to me unless it is part of a bigger plan. 

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Teams are obsessing over player control and salary, that is one of the reasons why Givens is in high demand.  He also has a history of succeeding in the 7th and 8th innings, which most teams would put him in.  He's still a reliever, and while he will net a good return, its definitely not going to be any top 100 guys.  That ship sailed after the Chapman/Torres deal a few years ago.  

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Woods-Richardson is really good too, about to be the youngest player in A+ ball.

I actually like the return for Toronto, and they have a good track record scouting pitchers from what some fans have told me.  Woods-Richardson's development makes or breaks the deal obviously, but he has fantastic stuff and if he can't put it together as a starter, it's elite level bullpen stuff.  

3 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I actually like the return for Toronto, and they have a good track record scouting pitchers from what some fans have told me.  Woods-Richardson's development makes or breaks the deal obviously, but he has fantastic stuff and if he can't put it together as a starter, it's elite level bullpen stuff.  

I’ve watched him pitch a couple times and really liked him, but giving him a second look, I don’t see how he’s not a top 100 prospect. It’s similar stuff to Grayson, lessor changeup, but better arm action and younger. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Teams are obsessing over player control and salary, that is one of the reasons why Givens is in high demand.  He also has a history of succeeding in the 7th and 8th innings, which most teams would put him in.  He's still a reliever, and while he will net a good return, its definitely not going to be any top 100 guys.  That ship sailed after the Chapman/Torres deal a few years ago.  

I suspect teams  are looking for value among the  shortish term expensive old guys that are hot and fill an immediate hole. They will happily throw some cash at a chance for the brass ring. Giving away the seed corn on a lottery ticket is an entirely different matter these days. 

Of course, if they think they are the smartest people in the room and can pry a relatively cost controlled, proven pitcher off of someone for some prospects they will do it.