Frobby

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2019 at 9:46 AM, Frobby said:

4/11 no hit shutout

4/20 five hit shutout, four hit shutout in doubleheader 

4/22 three hit shutout

4/24 no hit shutout

All in 19 games played.   I’d say this is a weak offensive team.   

One hit shutout tonight, with the lone hit coming in the 8th inning.   They came close to getting no-hit for a third time this year.   

They did score 12 runs on 19 hits yesterday.   

As of May 7, the Baysox’s record stood at 8-24.    Since then, they’ve gone 11-4 to improve their record to 19-28.    That improvement coincides almost exactly with the arrival of Mason McCoy, who joined the team on May 6.   They’ve outscored opponents 79-41 in that stretch.   Their run production has still been sporadic.   6 of the 11 wins during the recent stretch case in games where they scored 3 runs or less; but they’ve also won by 19-4 (yesterday), 12-2 and 12-1.    

The addition of Austin Hays should bolster their offense.

4/5 of the Bowie rotation is doing well — Lowther 1.91 ERA in 8 starts, Wells 2.12 in 6 starts, Zimmerman 2.25 in 8 starts, Molina 3.42 in 8 starts.   The sore spot has been Hunter Harvey, 5.82 ERA in 9 starts.    Dean Kremer has now joined the rotation as well, so things are a bit crowded.    

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

As of May 7, the Baysox’s record stood at 8-24.    Since then, they’ve gone 11-4 to improve their record to 19-28.    That improvement coincides almost exactly with the arrival of Mason McCoy, who joined the team on May 6.   They’ve outscored opponents 79-41 in that stretch.   Their run production has still been sporadic.   6 of the 11 wins during the recent stretch case in games where they scored 3 runs or less; but they’ve also won by 19-4 (yesterday), 12-2 and 12-1.    

The addition of Austin Hays should bolster their offense.

4/5 of the Bowie rotation is doing well — Lowther 1.91 ERA in 8 starts, Wells 2.12 in 6 starts, Zimmerman 2.25 in 8 starts, Molina 3.42 in 8 starts.   The sore spot has been Hunter Harvey, 5.82 ERA in 9 starts.    Dean Kremer has now joined the rotation as well, so things are a bit crowded.    

I made that point on BirdsWatcher a week ago:

https://birdswatcher.com/2019/05/14/baltimore-orioles-spark-baysox/

• Thanks 1

Three questions for people who go to games in Bowie for those of us not fortunate enough to go. 

1. Does Mason McCoy shoot up everyone’s prospect boards due to how well he’s done? Do you think he’ll stick at SS? 

2. Whats’s going on with Harvey? Is he not locating his stuff? Is it not that fast velocity wise anymore? 

3. What happened to Ryan McKenna’s bat? .630 OPS and we’re almost isn’t a good sign 

3 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Three questions for people who go to games in Bowie for those of us not fortunate enough to go. 

1. Does Mason McCoy shoot up everyone’s prospect boards due to how well he’s done? Do you think he’ll stick at SS? 

2. Whats’s going on with Harvey? Is he not locating his stuff? Is it not that fast velocity wise anymore? 

3. What happened to Ryan McKenna’s bat? .630 OPS and we’re almost isn’t a good sign 

1. Not that much, he's still a utility profile for me. He can handle SS, I don't think the range is MLB average, but he's rock solid consistent.

2. Harvey hasn't had much command of his curveball or splitter. So despite the fact both of those pitches will show plus at times, hitters are able to sit dead red fastball. So the 2nd time through the order, guys are timing up his fastball. I wouldn't worry about him, if he's healthy, he'll be a MLB contributor eventually, just needs reps.

3. He changed his swing (something he does quite often), it's kind of an imitation of Mike Trout's swing, I think he's trying to hit for more power. The problem is that he's not getting the bat on plane early enough.  He's also hitting a lot more balls in the air.  Part of the struggles are bad luck, he hasn't earned a .260 BABIP, he's still a 70/80 runner. He's playing strong centerfield defense, he's two years younger than McCoy, his prospect status hasn't really taken much of a hit IMO (you always prefer to see good results).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After starting their season 8-24, the Baysox reached .500 tonight at 41-41, winning 6-0 over Hartford.   I think their offense has picked up considerably since the team hit rock bottom, but I’d have to check the box scores to confirm that.    The starting pitching has been pretty solid all along, though probably better of late with Kremer coming on.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

After starting their season 8-24, the Baysox reached .500 tonight at 41-41, winning 6-0 over Hartford.   I think their offense has picked up considerably since the team hit rock bottom, but I’d have to check the box scores to confirm that.    The starting pitching has been pretty solid all along, though probably better of late with Kremer coming on.   

No need to check. They have, by far.

Early in the season, they were losing a lot of close (1-3) run games. Pitching has kept them in but their hitting was awful. They really picked up since McCoy came up and Diaz came back from his injury and then the paternity leave.

McKenna has started swinging the bat well, Palmiero finally seems to be adjusting, Nichting is doing Nichting things, and Bannon is hitting (even if his power hasn't quite developed yet.)

HOMESTAND PREVIEW #8: Happy Fourth of July!

A four-game homestand includes a July 4th celebration.

BOWIE, Md.- The first homestand in July features a Thursday-Sunday four-game series against the Harrisburg Senators (Double-A Affiliate of the Washington Nationals).

Here are the highlights for the eighth homestand of 2019:

Thursday, July 4 – 6:35 p.m. vs. Harrisburg: Independence Day Celebration & Fireworks, Game Worn Jersey Auction to benefit AMVETS

Join us to celebrate the 4th of July the All-American way with America's Pastime and the biggest Fireworks Spectacular of the season, presented by Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.

The Baysox players will be wearing specially-designed jerseys for their July 4th game that will be auctioned off during the game at the stadium. A portion of the proceeds from the in-stadium auction will benefit AMVETS. To find out more about AMVETS and their programs, check out https://amvets.org/.

Friday, July 5 – 7:05 p.m. vs. Harrisburg: Prince & Princess Night, Family Camp Out

Kids are invited to come to the game dressed as royalty during Prince & Princess Night! One Prince and three Princesses will be available for photographs during the game for fans of all ages.

After the game, fans have the opportunity to spend the night at Prince George’s Stadium camping out on the field. All families can bring their own tent to set up on the field and enjoy a movie on the jumbotron. A special ticket must be purchased in advance to participate in this event, so head over to baysoxshop.com or call Mauricio at (301) 464-4885.

Saturday, July 6 – 6:35 p.m. vs. Harrisburg: Fireworks, Island Luau Night, T-Shirt Giveaway

Central Maryland turns tropical when Island Luau Night comes to Prince George’s Stadium. Arlington’s Halau ‘O Aulani will perform hula dancing and live music, while Baltimore’s Meki’s Tamure will also be performing music and dance pieces, along with Fire Knife Dancers after the game.

The first 500 fans (ages 13 & older) will receive a Baysox Luau T-Shirt with giveaway beginning at 5:30 p.m., while all fans in attendance will enjoy a Luau-themed fireworks spectacular with live music.

Sunday, July 7 – 1:35 p.m. vs. Harrisburg: Orioles Celebration, Mike Mussina Bobble Head Giveaway

The Baysox will celebrate our parent club, the Baltimore Orioles, and the newest member of the Baseball Hall of Fame, former Baysox pitcher Mike Mussina.

The first 750 fans (ages 13 & older) will receive a Mike Mussina Hall of Fame bobblehead. Mussina will be immortalized on the bobblehead wearing the Baysox uniform he donned for two games during the 1993 season while pitching on a rehabilitation assignment. | presented by Money One Federal Credit Union

--

NEXT HOMESTAND HIGHLIGHTS

July 19 – Mother and Son Night, Joint Base Andrews Night

Mom’s and sons will enjoy a special ticket package that includes box seats, VIP parking, playing catch on the field and more. We will also honor the men and women from Joint Base Andrews before and during the game.

July 20 – Trey “Moon” Mancini Bobblehead Giveaway, Fireworks

July 20, 2019 marks the 50th anniversary of the first humans landing on the moon in 1969, and the Baysox will celebrate with a Trey “Moon” Mancini bobblehead giveaway. The 750 fans (ages 13 & older will receive a bobblehead depicting the former Baysox first baseman as an astronaut on the moon. After the game, fans will enjoy a spectacular fireworks show.

For individual game tickets, click here.

The Bowie Baysox 2019 season is presented by Money One Federal Credit Union. The Baysox return in 2019 to celebrate their 27th Season. To keep up with Baysox news, visit baysox.com and be sure to follow the Baysox on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat.

Contacts:

Robby Veronesi, Communications Manager

(301) 464-4851

rveronesi@baysox.com

Veronesi

On 7/2/2019 at 7:49 PM, Frobby said:

After starting their season 8-24, the Baysox reached .500 tonight at 41-41, winning 6-0 over Hartford.   I think their offense has picked up considerably since the team hit rock bottom, but I’d have to check the box scores to confirm that.  

On 7/2/2019 at 9:03 PM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

No need to check. They have, by far.

Apparently, you don’t know me very well.   ?

In their 8-24 stretch the Baysox scored 99 runs in 32 games, an average of 3.09 per game.    In their 33-17 run-up to .500, they scored 239 runs, an average of 4.78 per game.  Of course, having reached .500 for a day, they were promptly shut out yesterday to fall to 41-42.    

After being shut out 5 times in their first 25 games and 7 times in their first 32, the Baysox were shut out only 4 times in their next 50 games before being shut out yesterday.    So, that’s 12 on the year.   By comparison, they’ve shut out their opponents only 7 times.    

• Upvote 2