Adley Rutschman 2019

Greg Pappas

50 minutes ago, Obando said:

I’m not worried about Adley.  The guy has hit everywhere he’s been the last 2 years, both at Oregon State and for Team USA.  Every player transitions differently into pro ball, and Adley has more on his plate than your typical draft pick.  Let’s not discount the fact that he had a bout of mononucleosis after getting drafted, which I’m sure sapped a lot of his energy, so he’s probably still working his way back to full strength while simultaneously learning a pitching staff and adjusting to pro pitching.  Adley didn’t just suddenly forget how to hit.  I have a feeling we’ll see the real Adley next year once he has a full offseason to rest, get back to full strength and prepare for the rigors of full season baseball.  

The mono is the main reason I’m not freaking out about his poor performance at Aberdeen so far.    That’s a tough illness from which to rebound quickly.    

7 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Everyone who is just looking at the stat line and claiming he's struggling, watch this. Look at these swings.

To be perfectly honest, I’m not enough of a scout to make heads or tails of that.    Especially when I can’t see where the ball traveled.    So give me your evaluation of it.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To be perfectly honest, I’m not enough of a scout to make heads or tails of that.    Especially when I can’t see where the ball traveled.    So give me your evaluation of it.

There's no "bad" or "ugly" swings, even the couple whiffs, he's right on the ball. He gets the barrel or close to it on almost every pitch he swings at in the video. He doesn't drop his hands or roll over. He consistently lifts the ball. He stays connected. The only negative thing I noticed was he looks noticeably skinnier (especially in the legs) than in college, so I wonder how much weight he lost with the mono. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I like his swing from the LH side much better than RH. No idea what his college splits were, but from the right side I don't like all the movement, from resting on his shoulder to cocking it back and off his shoulder to then swinging. Too me his swing seems a little long and slow but what do I know he was almost everyone's pick for 1--1. 

3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

There's no "bad" or "ugly" swings, even the couple whiffs, he's right on the ball. He gets the barrel or close to it on almost every pitch he swings at in the video. He doesn't drop his hands or roll over. He consistently lifts the ball. He stays connected. The only negative thing I noticed was he looks noticeably skinnier (especially in the legs) than in college, so I wonder how much weight he lost with the mono. 

He also does a real good job at clearing his hips through, head stays steady, swing is compact, straight to the ball, and gets good extension...also real quiet takes, the first one looked like a ball as he shot a quick look at the ump.  

Edited by Punchandjudy

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

The mono is the main reason I’m not freaking out about his poor performance at Aberdeen so far.    That’s a tough illness from which to rebound quickly.    

Exactly. Mono is no joke. My brother had it and almost had to get his spleen removed. I don’t pretend to be a medical professional, but I’d qualify that as “serious”. Obviously that’s an extreme case, but I’m sure it’s still affecting AR or has until very recently.

1 hour ago, TheDeau52 said:

Exactly. Mono is no joke. My brother had it and almost had to get his spleen removed. I don’t pretend to be a medical professional, but I’d qualify that as “serious”. Obviously that’s an extreme case, but I’m sure it’s still affecting AR or has until very recently.

Very true.  I had mono when I was 15 and felt like I was going to die.  It hits you like a ton of bricks.  Even if Adley’s case was mild, I’m sure it was still bad enough to sap him of a lot of energy and resulted in weight loss.  That is the likely explanation for why he looks skinnier than he did this year in college, as Luke alluded to.  He probably couldn’t work out for at least a week or two while dealing with mono, so that put him behind and he’s probably still getting his strength back.  Even so, those swings look good in the 2080 video that Luke linked, so I have no doubt that Adley is going to come back even stronger next year and show us all that the results we are seeing right now are not an accurate reflection of the hitter he really is.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Obando said:

Very true.  I had mono when I was 15 and felt like I was going to die.  It hits you like a ton of bricks.  Even if Adley’s case was mild, I’m sure it was still bad enough to sap him of a lot of energy and resulted in weight loss.  That is the likely explanation for why he looks skinnier than he did this year in college, as Luke alluded to.  He probably couldn’t work out for at least a week or two while dealing with mono, so that put him behind and he’s probably still getting his strength back.  Even so, those swings look good in the 2080 video that Luke linked, so I have no doubt that Adley is going to come back even stronger next year and show us all that the results we are seeing right now are not an accurate reflection of the hitter he really is.

Give this man a see-gar.

Adley with the GWRBI!

NEWS AND NOTES

• Aberdeen snapped an eight game losing streak in the win. It was the longest streak of any kind this season, but they took their second win in the month of August
  • Through 55 games, Aberdeen is 29-26, with a six game road trip ahead
  • This was the IronBirds third walkoff win of the season. 

https://www.milb.com/aberdeen/news/rutschman-walks-off-win-to-end-losing-streak/c-309877498