2019-20 Offseason Tracker

Enjoy Terror

Welcome back. I haven't logged into the site in like a month since Oriole baseball died, but I saw Joey pinged me about the tracker in a comment of his. Good thing I saw it last night! Anyway, November 1, new offseason, new leaf turnt over... let's go.

Tips and corrections to me please!

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Welcome back. I haven't logged into the site in like a month since Oriole baseball died, but I saw Joey pinged me about the tracker in a comment of his. Good thing I saw it last night! Anyway, November 1, new offseason, new leaf turnt over... let's go.

Tips and corrections to me please!

Did you mean to post this in the minor league forum?

15 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Two cuts that were missed: Kirvin Moesquiet and Alex Murphy were released during the season.

Also, one interesting note: Joel Polanco was released from his Norfolk contract but was then signed as the MLB bullpen catcher, partnering with Dustin Hughes.

I'm going to change it to 10/1/19 start date and just forget about things that happened between March and October. I'll stick to the KISS method!

• Upvote 1

I posted this in another thread on Minor League free agents, but Baseball America's list is out.

Their list excludes a few players from the opening post and I wonder how many have quietly re-signed with the Orioles.

For example, Martin Cervenka isn't included, and a site tracking European born players reports that he will be back for the 2020 season.

I assume Ryan Ripken will either be back with the Orioles or out of baseball, and he is also not on BA's list.

• Upvote 1

MLB RULE 55: An unsigned minor league player is automatically declared a free-agent at 5 PM (Eastern) on the 5th day after the final game of the World Series (the deadline is October 15th if the World Series is canceled) if the player has spent all or any part of at least seven separate seasons on a minor league roster (including all or parts of any season spent on Optional Assignment to the minors and/or on a minor league Injured List) and/or if the player has been previously released or non-tendered in his career and his present contract (known as a "second contract" even if it's his third or fourth minor league contract) has expired. For purposes of determining eligibility to be a minor league free-agent where spending seven separate seasons on a minor league roster is required, a player does not accrue a minor league season if the player spends the entire season on an MLB Active List, MLB Disabled List(s), and/or other MLB inactive list, or if the player spends an entire season on the Restricted List, Disqualified List, Suspended List, Ineligible List, Voluntarily Retired List, and/or Military List. Also, participation in a post-season instructional league or winter league and/or the Arizona Fall League (AFL) does not count toward a minor league season if the player otherwise did not accrue a minor league season that year. Note that a player who ordinarily would have been declared a Rule 55 minor league free-agent is NOT eligible to be a free-agent if the player is either added to an MLB Reserve List (40-man roster) or agrees to a minor league successor contract prior to 5 PM (Eastern) on the 5th day after the final game of the World Series.

If this is still the rule... then (for example) Cristian Alvarado and his seven minor league seasons should be a free agent this year. But he is not on that list, indicating they've reached some kind of agreement with him.

3 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Weird. I could've sworn it was in Roch's blog, but now it looks like I made it up?

Losing it...

I think Roch had mentioned that Ynoa had elected free agency but then re-signed with the O’s last year.     You might have skipped the “last year” part.  

The Orioles signed Ty Moore this past week. As far as I can tell, he hasn't played since 2018 in the Frontier League where he was a corner outfielder and wasn't even the best hitter on his team. He refers to himself as a former player on social media. His signing was reported on Baseball America as a player, but I'm wondering if he was actually signed as a developmental coach or a fundamentals coach rather than as a player.

• Upvote 3