Who will be the O's every day second baseman in 2020?

wildcard

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Of course he will get an invite. Why wouldn’t he?

He is not on the 40 man roster and he has only spent 20 games in AAA.   He is the O's 24th prospect.   I would put him in the category of players that still have a lot to prove at AAA along with Wells and Zimmerman.    I will be surprised if any of those three get an invite this spring.  They are more likely to called over from minor league camp if the O's need extra bodies for a game or two.

The players that I expect to see at 2B/3B in ST are Ruiz, Alberto, Wilkerson, Valaika, and Herrera.  Elias could add a  AAAA player to this group if he finds someone cheap that he likes.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

He is not on the 40 man roster and he has only spent 20 games in AAA.   He is the O's 24th prospect.   I would put him in the category of players that still have a lot to prove at AAA along with Wells and Zimmerman.    I will be surprised if any of those three get an invite this spring.  They are more likely to called over from minor league camp if the O's need extra bodies for a game or two.

The players that I expect to see at 2B/3B in ST are Ruiz, Alberto, Wilkerson, Valaika, and Herrera.  Elias could add a  AAAA player to this group if he finds someone cheap that he likes.

I find none of this to be logical or convincing reasons not to invite him.

I thought we were a rebuilding organization, but if that’s how you think we should use our spring training AB’s at 2B, then I guess not.

2, maybe 3 AAAA players over a 24 year old from our top 30 prospects, who was a piece of the Machado trade, would make zero sense.

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

8 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I thought we were a rebuilding organization, but if that’s how you think we should use our spring training AB’s at 2B, then I guess not.

2, maybe 3 AAAA players over a 24 year old from our top 30 prospects, who was a piece of the Machado trade, would make zero sense.

I’d say Bannon is a borderline spring training invite, but has no real chance to make the club out of spring training.   Last year Mountcastle got invited but was sent out with a week or two to go in ST; Akin wasn’t invited at all despite being Eastern League pitcher of the year.    I won’t be surprised either way with Bannon, but if he’s invited, he’ll be in MiL camp by mid-March.   

32 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Elias seems to value AAA service.   Bannon has very little.   IMO Bannon, Zimmerman and Wells are  the kind of players that have to earn everything they get.   That is not to say that in the future if they perform well at AAA they could make their way to the majors.   But its not a given that that will happen.  Therefore I don't see them getting an invite to ST.

You could be right and I could be wrong about this.  Its just my opinion based on what Elias has done up to this point.

• Upvote 2

As much as I'm meh on Alberto and would welcome Gennett/Wilmer with Alberto sliding to 3B or a Mora role, he did earn the shot.  I'm fairly sure he just had his career year, but he did build a platform to perhaps establish real value if he can consolidate.

Opening Day Bannon would kind of be the Martin-Iglesias transition in reverse, and a somewhat ruthless allocation of 1st half playing time to a present less developed player with more potential for a couple years out.