Maryland vs. Iowa

Oriole4Life

So I have to check the results to be absolutely sure on this, but I think Turge Maryland teams have won ONE road game against a ranked opponent (Iowa) in his entire tenure.  And I think he has won ZERO games against power 5 opponents in the NCAA tournament in 20+ years of head coaching.  Assuming that is right, those are incredibly pathetic stats that should honestly sink a head coach in most any other situation.  He is like an NFL team that goes 8-8 or 9-7 every single year, never making the playoffs but never being bad enough to get a high draft pick to turn things around. 

Last night was awful.  Just an incredible amount of dumb plays and an offense that you would think had NEVER seen a zone defense in its life.  

1 hour ago, vatech1994 said:

Michigan State is losing on the road to Purdue by 29 with 2 minutes to play.  Michigan State has been playing great lately and Purdue just got done getting absolutely killed at Illinois and beaten at Michigan.  Why can nobody win a road game in the Big 10 this year?  This is just weird.

what in the world.  71-42.  How does that offense score 42 points?

7 hours ago, Mark Turgeon’s Suit said:

There's 12 Big 10 teams in the Kenpom Top 40. It's a tough conference. A lot of good teams are going to lose a lot of games on the road. Michigan State is currently losing by 30+ to Purdue on the road. Are they horrible too?

I didn't say they were horrible. I keep saying they are under achieving as I have for years. I don't think Turgeon is developing the talent he has. A look at his career record seems to confirm that.

Just now, Mark Turgeon’s Suit said:

Their career win percentages are nearly identical. Please explain how that fact is trolling and your statement is not.

Ok, I'll explain. You have 3 posts here, total. The only thread you posted in is this one.

Gary Williams won a National Championship and had other deep runs in the tournament. Turgeon has not. Gary beat numerous Big 5 Conference teams in his career in the Tournament.. Turgeon has not. Gary got the most out of his talent. Turgeon does not. If you can't see the difference I don't know what to tell you.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Satyr3206 said:

Ok, I'll explain. You have 3 posts here, total. The only thread you posted in is this one.

Gary Williams won a National Championship and had other deep runs in the tournament. Turgeon has not. Gary beat numerous Big 5 Conference teams in his career in the Tournament.. Turgeon has not. Gary got the most out of his talent. Turgeon does not. If you can't see the difference I don't know what to tell you.

It is a reasonable comparison. Gary was the coach at Maryland for 12 years before getting past the Sweet Sixteen. This is Turgeon's 9th season. If he does not get past the Sweet Sixteen over the next three years, he will not be here for a 12th season.

Turgeon has gone 121-49 from his 4th to 8th season.

Gary's BEST 5 year stretch in his first 11 years was from his 6th to 10th season where he went 113-49.

Gary had one shared conference title in his first 12 years, Turgeon has zero.

Turgeon has three top-3 conference finishes in his first 8 years, Gary didn't have his second top-3 finish until his 9th year (in a smaller conference).

Of the top 20 Maryland recruits, (since 2003) Gary had 9 and Turgeon had 11. Gary didn't get the most out of any of his three top 10 recruits, Mike Jones, Ekene Ibekwe or Sean Mosley. All were arguably busts. Jalen Smith, Trimble, and Wiggins all had more success.

13 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

It is a reasonable comparison. Gary was the coach at Maryland for 12 years before getting past the Sweet Sixteen. This is Turgeon's 9th season. If he does not get past the Sweet Sixteen over the next three years, he will not be here for a 12th season.

Turgeon has gone 121-49 from his 4th to 8th season.

Gary's BEST 5 year stretch in his first 11 years was from his 6th to 10th season where he went 113-49.

Gary had one shared conference title in his first 12 years, Turgeon has zero.

Turgeon has three top-3 conference finishes in his first 8 years, Gary didn't have his second top-3 finish until his 9th year (in a smaller conference).

Of the top 20 Maryland recruits, (since 2003) Gary had 9 and Turgeon had 11. Gary didn't get the most out of any of his three top 10 recruits, Mike Jones, Ekene Ibekwe or Sean Mosley. All were arguably busts. Jalen Smith, Trimble, and Wiggins all had more success.

Gary had a guy go 1-1 and a guy for 1-2 under his tutelage.  Isn't that more telling than how highly ranked they were before entering college?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Gary had a guy go 1-1 and a guy for 1-2 under his tutelage.  Isn't that more telling than how highly ranked they were before entering college?

And Alex Len went 1-5 and could have gone 1-1 if he didn't get injured. Steve Francis was a ridiculous one and done recruit, not sure how much credit Gary gets for him. My point is that Gary getting the most out of his talent is a cop-out for him not being a particularly good recruiter, and when he did get top guys, they floundered under his tutelage.

I am a fan of Gary Williams, but he wasn't perfect, and I think some of the hagiographies he inspires today is just nostalgia.

15 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

And Alex Len went 1-5 and could have gone 1-1 if he didn't get injured. Steve Francis was a ridiculous one and done recruit, not sure how much credit Gary gets for him. My point is that Gary getting the most out of his talent is a cop-out for him not being a particularly good recruiter, and when he did get top guys, they floundered under his tutelage.

I am a fan of Gary Williams, but he wasn't perfect, and I think some of the hagiographies he inspires today is just nostalgia.

Not nostalgia. Facts. Has Turgeon ever come close to a Final Four? Big no. Has Turgeon ever won a National Championship? Nope, and he never will.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Satyr3206 said:

Not nostalgia. Facts. Has Turgeon ever come close to a Final Four? Big no. Has Turgeon ever won a National Championship? Nope, and he never will.

For years that was the same complaint about Gary. He was known for not being able to get past the Sweet Sixteen until he wasn't.

8 hours ago, Satyr3206 said:

I'm pointing out the obvious facts and they want to talk about players. OK, Turgeon had 3 NBA players a few years ago on the same team, and how far did it get them?

Gary didn't make the Final Four until he had 5 NBA players in '01. In '99 he had 6 NBA players including that year's #2 overall pick, and he lost in the Sweet Sixteen, but great point.