Buck interviewing for Astros job

Frobby

1 hour ago, andrewochs615 said:

I would like to root for Buck and with everything the Astros have done it is hard to root for them.

The Mets beat the Orioles in the 1969 World Series, when I was 12.   I will always hate them and root against them for that reason.   Always.   Buck or no Buck.   

• Upvote 1

The game is moving away from hiring guys like Buck, despite his immense experience and baseball knowledge.

I would find it pretty funny that if they did hire Buck, he would now be reunited with Sarah Geller who was a Duquette hire to lead Orioles analytics, the same analytics Buck ignored for his own version.

Chalk me up as someone who would be surprised if the Astros go this route, but Buck would certainly be the straight and narrow opposite of what they had.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

The game is moving away from hiring guys like Buck, despite his immense experience and baseball knowledge.

I would find it pretty funny that if they did hire Buck, he would now be reunited with Sarah Geller who was a Duquette hire to lead Orioles analytics, the same analytics Buck ignored for his own version.

Chalk me up as someone who would be surprised if the Astros go this route, but Buck would certainly be the straight and narrow opposite of what they had.

Dan Connolly has a good column in The Athletic about it.   He said that a few weeks ago, he would have thought the Astros were the LAST team that would ever consider hiring Buck for the reasons you give.   And that those reasons still exist.   But in terms of taking over leadership of a talented team in crisis, in terms of making sure no further cheating takes place and protecting the integrity moving forward, suddenly he MIGHT be the best guy they could bring in.   It's a good read.

Just now, SteveA said:

Dan Connolly has a good column in The Athletic about it.   He said that a few weeks ago, he would have thought the Astros were the LAST team that would ever consider hiring Buck for the reasons you give.   And that those reasons still exist.   But in terms of taking over leadership of a talented team in crisis, in terms of making sure no further cheating takes place and protecting the integrity moving forward, suddenly he MIGHT be the best guy they could bring in.   It's a good read.

Connolly was and apparently still is literally Buck's PR man, so I'm not surprised by his thoughts on this matter. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I could see Buck steering the ship for couple years while the Astros deal with the ramifications of this scandal. I think the last thing the Astros want to do here is go with an unknown quantity. 

15 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I could see Buck steering the ship for couple years while the Astros deal with the ramifications of this scandal. I think the last thing the Astros want to do here is go with an unknown quantity. 

I know one thing.   Buck wouldn't have dealt with the cheating in the weak, half-assed way Hinch did.   Hinch claims he was against it, but he never put a stop to it.   But on two occasions he destroyed the laptop they were using.   What kind of leadership is that?   And that is Hinch's description of his own actions.   Wasn't he in charge of the team?  

• Upvote 1

I'd root for the Astros if they brought Buck aboard.

They canned Luhnow and Hinch.  Sure, they'd have some players remaining that benefited from the cheating but I can't imagine most players saying "no" to something that would give them a leg up on the competition that's not steroids.  I would bet that some of these guys lump sign stealing, corking bats and pitchers scuffing the ball with what just happened in Houston.  

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Crane has a team that is talented enough to go back to the playoffs and possibly win the World Series.   He needs a manager that can establish stability and push the right buttons at the right time.   Someone that has successfully managed star players.   Of the guys on the published Astros list Bochy is the only manager that is better than Buck.  And Bochy reportedly does not want the job.

One thing we know about Buck.   He can schmooze an owner.