O's claim Travis Lakins, DFA Stevie Wilkerson

interloper

Deleting my thread!

There are players I would have DFA'd before Wilkerson (Smith and Wynns for two) but I think it is very unlikely that Wilkerson will ever be a productive MLB player, despite his splits against righties last year. He just doesn't hit enough or play any position defensively well enough to be rosterable, in my opinion.

Was #15 on the Red Sox prospects list as of March 2019:

The righty is not really the type of reliever we’ve gotten used to around the league over the last few years. Instead of pairing a huge fastball and a devastating breaking ball, Lakins boasts four pitches that could be average or better. One of those is a big fastball that can get up to the upper-90s in shorter stints. Beyond that he throws both a cutter and a slider, which share similar movement but come in at different speeds, as well as a curveball and a changeup that may be scrapped. The repertoire was never the issue for starting, and it carries over to his relief profile. However, the arsenal is not a finished product, as he needs to work on commanding all of his pitches in any situation.

https://www.overthemonster.com/2019/3/15/18266925/red-sox-top-prospects-travis-lakins-bullpen-depth

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

Honestly, good. Stevie had some fun moments, but is not an offensive or defensive asset. Much more interesting IFs to check out, and we get another guy to throw into the SP mix.

Lakins hasn't really started since 2017. He had a couple opener appearances for the Red Sox last year and his first 6 appearances at AA in 2018 were all starts, but he never pitched past the third inning and never threw even 60 pitches in any appearance since 2017. 

Lakins looks like a reliever at this point.

Just now, MurphDogg said:

Lakins hasn't really started since 2017. He had a couple opener appearances for the Red Sox last year and his first 6 appearances at AA in 2018 were all starts, but he never pitched past the third inning and never threw even 60 pitches. 

Yeah, you're right. Hasty on my part. Maybe a better Evan Phillips?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

Lakins hasn't really started since 2017. He had a couple opener appearances for the Red Sox last year and his first 6 appearances at AA in 2018 were all starts, but he never pitched past the third inning and never threw even 60 pitches in any appearance since 2017. 

I see we faced him 4 times last year. I have a vague recollection of him. Has 2 options left.  

• Upvote 2