Connolly: Q&A with Mike Elias

Mr. Chewbacca Jr.

23 minutes ago, interloper said:

What's the feeling on copy/pasting? I'd be happy to pull a few question/answers, but I don't know what's considered poor taste or against board rules, etc. 

Limited copying and pasting is allowed.   Wholesale is not.   

• Upvote 1

What I like is that he gives you a timeframe. He says he expects to be a player for the top international players by 2022. I think 3 years going from nothing (and really - n o t h i n g) to one of the MLB-leading international efforts is definitely reasonable. And if they aren't by then, he's open to some valid criticism, I think. 

20 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Did Elias sat anything that we have nor heard before?

When asked about whether we would have a "hitting guru" who would standardize hitting instruction throughout the organization as Holt has done with pitching, he said we probably would not.   He says the instruction is being standardized but he didn't feel the need for that position.   But of course if someone with unique qualifications came along that could change.

[That's from memory.   I read the 2 parts at home this morning, I'm at work now, and I don't log onto non-work-related pay-wall sites via my work connection].

The usual sidestepping of the Houston cheating issue (wasn't his department, not sure how much it helps, doesn't negate any of the successes the Astros had in player development, not his place to talk about other teams, very unfortunate, etc.   Connolly specifically asked if any of the 4 Orioles employees including Elias who are from the Astro org could be affected by thh fallout in any way and he said no).

Confirmed that once again player development is a priority over W/L record on the field this year.   (In other words, Akin will come up whenever they deem he is ready, and it won't be affected whether starters at the MLB level are doing well or doing poorly).

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If they are pleased with spending 5M does that mean the remaining 5-6 slots are on the trading block?

Perez did say the other day that he expected to sign a few more guys this cycle, but not too many.    

So we still have time to sign more players. I don’t think we will be announcing many more, but there are still some that we are working on,” said Koby Perez, the team’s senior director of international scouting.

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2020/02/another-look-at-the-orioles-recent-international-signings.html

Would you able to take on a hefty contract from another club if it also included acquiring a high-level prospect as part of the deal?

Yeah, I think we would look at it, for sure. And consider it case-by-case. Those instances are very case-by-case.

Not sure I believe him, but it is nice that this question was asked and answered.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

It's Goofy with a capital G that some posters here find ways to whine about what the O's are currently doing in the international talent market despite following the team on an every-day basis. 

Didn't he flat out state that he wasn't going to trade any slots from this signing period?

I'm not imagining that right?

If that changes I think it's noteworthy.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Didn't he flat out state that he wasn't going to trade any slots from this signing period?

He can be pleased with what the $5 million has gotten them and at the same time be looking for more opportunities. They've signed additional players in recent months I believe. 

Also I'd imagine there is a much softer market for leftover slot $ at this point in the signing year and as @Frobby mentioned their official position is that they are still evaluating the market for potential pick-ups.

1 minute ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

He can be pleased with what the $5 million has gotten them and at the same time be looking for more opportunities. They've signed additional players in recent months I believe. 

Also I'd imagine there is a much softer market for leftover slot $ at this point in the signing year and as @Frobby mentioned their official position is that they are still evaluating the market for potential pick-ups.

I didn't say otherwise.

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe it’s a subtle difference, but I believe what he said was either that he wasn’t planning to trade any slots or that he wasn’t expecting to.    To me that’s different than a flat statement that he wouldn’t.    I believe whatever statement he made was last summer, not any time recently.    Sounds like the O’s still have a few signings left to do, so we’ll see if any slots get traded and how much.