Could Rylan Bannon make this team?

calebelias

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think his stronger position is 2B. His defense at 3B is not considered good enough to play everyday, but good enough to be a utility player and play there some. This is my recollection from a scouting report, not from personally watching him.

4 minutes ago, robin147 said:

He doesn't play shortstop, so hard for him to be a utility player on this team without starting everyday at either 2nd or 3rd. I could see him coming up over the summer if injury occurs, but he's likely better off getting playing time at AAA

Urena seems to have the inside track on that. IIRC he plays some OF too.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

He’s barely played AAA, and struggled in the AFL.    He’s not on the 40-man roster.    I don’t see him starting the year with the team.    He could play his way up to Baltimore during the season.   

Why are his struggles in AFL worth mentioning, but not his success in AAA, in about the same amount of games?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Why are his struggles in AFL worth mentioning, but not his success in AAA, in about the same amount of games?

The fact that he did well in AAA is worth mentioning just as much as his AFL time, as is his decent but not great AA performance before his promotion.    Considering he had nearly five times as many at bats in AA as in AAA, I’d say the AA is the most important.    And it certainly wasn’t bad, .740 OPS in a pitcher-friendly league.     But I’d like to see Bannon get some more time in AAA to show that his good numbers there weren’t just a small sample fluke.    And, I think the burden of proof for guys not already on the 40-man roster is very high, because selecting them means kicking someone else off.    From a roster management point of view, the more prudent course is to give the benefit of the doubt to someone already on the roster, or someone not on the roster who has an opt-out (if there is an infielder in that position).     Bannon can always come up later.

• Upvote 1