Elias' Zoom call tells us what?

wildcard

I may be reading between the lines a bit here but here what I think:

1) The Opening  Day 30 players will come from the 44 currently invited to camp.

2) The extra 16 will train at a different facility (maybe Bowie) and will be added as Elias  sees what players he needs.

3) No lower minors guys to begin the season.  But maybe later.

4) Williams is probably not one of the 30 to start the season.   This probably makes Andrew Velasquez the backup CF.

5) Open 40 man spot, Mancini to the 45 man DL and possible Urias DFA may be the only open spots on the 40 man roster.    LeBlanc and Milone take two of those spots.   Holaday probably gets the third.   Elias is not going to want to DFA many players off the 40 because injuries and Covid make it hard to know how many players will be lost during the season.

6) Martin has an edge over Valaika for a UIF spot because he is on the 40 and someone has to be DFA'd to get Valaika on the 40.

Here is the 30 man as I see it now:

(9)1B  Davis, 2B Alberto, SS  Iglesias, 3B Ruiz,  LF  Stewart, CF Hayes, RF Sanander, C Severino, DH Nunez

(5) Means, Cobb, Wojo, LeBlanc*, Milone*

(11) Harvey,  Givens,  Bleier,  Castro,  Armstrong,  Carroll, Velazquez,  Scott,  Fry,  Stewart,  Sulser

Bench (5)   Sisco,  Holaday*, Velazquez,  Smith, Martin

* means needs to be added to the 40 man roster.

There is no insight on how the 3 man taxi squad will be used which come impact carrying 3 catchers on the 30.

• Upvote 1

Once we get through about 5 games, you will get the extra year of service time.

We should start seeing as many young guys as possible once that starts.

Mountcastle should be up...a slew of the young arms should be here.  Diaz can be up.  Just get these kids some time and let them play.

The caveat to this is if they have an expanded AFL and these guys can’t have much, if any, ML time this year to be a part of that but seeing as Arizona is shutting things down for the next 30 days, I am not sure how optimistic we should be about that.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

2) The extra 16 will train at a different facility (maybe Bowie) and will be added as Elias  sees what players he needs.

4) Williams is probably not one of the 30 to start the season.   This probably makes Andrew Velasquez the backup CF.

5) Open 40 man spot, Mancini to the 45 man DL and possible Urias DFA may be the only open spots on the 40 man roster.    LeBlanc and Milone take two of those spots.   Holaday probably gets the third.   Elias is not going to want to DFA many players off the 40 because injuries and Covid make it hard to know how many players will be lost during the season.

6) Martin has an edge over Valaika for a UIF spot because he is on the 40 and someone has to be DFA'd to get Valaika on the 40.

(9)1B  Davis, 2B Alberto, SS  Iglesias, 3B Ruiz,  LF  Stewart, CF Hayes, RF Sanander, C Severino, DH Nunez

(11) Harvey,  Givens,  Bleier,  Castro,  Armstrong,  Carroll, Velazquez,  Scott,  Fry,  Stewart,  Sulser

There is no insight on how the 3 man taxi squad will be used which come impact carrying 3 catchers on the 30.

linkies? Please?

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

40 man roster is already at 38 (with Trey on the long-term DL).

1 hour ago, scOtt said:

linkies? Please?

Roch on MASNsports.com.

Elias basically said that the reason guys like Mountcastle and Akin and so forth we're not on the 44 initial names is because they had already been sent to minor-league camp in the spring and are not going to make the opening day roster. He wants the guys in the initial camp to be guys likely to make the opening day roster so that the resources can be devoted to them getting in shape.

He also said the rules make it difficult to knock someone off the 60 man roster without losing team control of them. I did not know this I haven't heard that rule. But that makes him cautious in who he puts on 60 man list .

So basically we might not add to these 44 for a while, as the purpose of camp initially is to get guys ready in a short time to play ball.

Not a positive development for those of us who hoped, for example, that Mountcastle might join the team after a very brief time at the start of the season.

Anyone who’s high risk and chooses later to opt out will be paid and earn service time, per league rules. If he isn’t high-risk - and it doesn’t matter whether someone in his household or family is - he won’t receive a salary or service time.

2 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Anyone who’s high risk and chooses later to opt out will be paid and earn service time, per league rules. If he isn’t high-risk - and it doesn’t matter whether someone in his household or family is - he won’t receive a salary or service time.

Seems like a fair compromise.