Orioles Sign Heston Kjerstad

weams

6 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I find this post very interesting. Why do you think this. I didn't see where you expanded on this so I am sorry if you did. 

Because they don't have enough slot money.

Let's say that at pick #130 the Dodgers have Carter Baumler as their top guy.  They probably don't have enough pool money to sign him so he goes to the O's at #133.

By board I mean BPA board.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Let's say that at pick #130 the Dodgers have Carter Baumler as their top guy.  They probably don't have enough pool money to sign him so he goes to the O's at #133.

I’m not a fan of a system that forces a team not to take the BPA when they are up

31 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Gotcha, I understand now. Makes complete sense. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Right.

Just seemed like you were reacting to something (potentially new information). Or perhaps I'm the only one who read it that way.

I believe every profile/scouting report has listed him as Bat L/Throw R (with maybe one that had him listed as Bat S, but that may have been dated.

I watched the video intro, there's some good info there.

12 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I’m not a fan of a system that forces a team not to take the BPA when they are up

Don't necessarily disagree.  But what happens when there is no slotting?  We end up where we were 10 or 15 years ago.  They Orioles pick Wade Townsend as who they think is the BPA.  They say they can afford X for him.  Townsend says I want X times 1.5, there's no cap, no limits, pony up the cash.  The O's say they can't, so they get no BPA, he doesn't sign.

I guess another option would be to just have hard slots.  Tell the #2 pick he gets $5M.  If he doesn't like it, he could go pound sand.  Benefits of being a baseball monopoly.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Don't necessarily disagree.  But what happens when there is no slotting?  We end up where we were 10 or 15 years ago.  They Orioles pick Wade Townsend as who they think is the BPA.  They say they can afford X for him.  Townsend says I want X times 1.5, there's no cap, no limits, pony up the cash.  The O's say they can't, so they get no BPA, he doesn't sign.

I guess another option would be to just have hard slots.  Tell the #2 pick he gets $5M.  If he doesn't like it, he could go pound sand.  Benefits of being a baseball monopoly.

You would also have to force the team to pay him the 5M.

4 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I would add that it's not super rare for lefty batters to throw (and I assume write, open doors, etc.) right-handed. Chris Davis and Chance Sisco, for example. Keeps the left side of the IF and catcher as an option too.

What is extremely rare is the opposite (pretty sure the O's had one of those guys recently (EDIT: it was/is Joey Rickard)

During the '70 WS re-broadcast, I learned also Brooks Robinson somewhat - at least the announcers related an anecdote he wrote and ate left-handed when talking about how masterful his glove hand was.  

Of course he threw R, so outside that extremely rare Rickard box, of whom I think of Rickey Henderson first and foremost.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

During the '70 WS re-broadcast, I learned also Brooks Robinson somewhat - at least the announcers related an anecdote he wrote and ate left-handed when talking about how masterful his glove hand was.  

Of course he threw R, so outside that extremely rare Rickard box, of whom I think of Rickey Henderson first and foremost.

Dave McNally.

Well, to start with, there are many more right-handed people than left-handed people.  So right off the bat, one would certainly expect to have fewer left-handed players who bat right-handed than right-handed players who bat left-handed.  Add to that the game advantage to throwing right-handed at certain positions; and the advantage of batting left-handed (since there are more right-handed pitchers) and we end up with even fewer players who learn from an early age to bat right-handed and throw left.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

So in essence you’re in favor of a system with no spending caps.    

Not necessarily ... The NFL uses slotted cap protocol. The system is made to play overslot/underslot games and they don't allow HS players to be drafted so they can't use the college scholarship as leverage, and I believe once they hire an agent returning is off the table.

So there can be a better system IMO

I will say with baseball's union issue its much harder to get a system in place that would work

I am for competitive balance and for a salary cap...Which would be better for everybody IMO. The elite players wouldn't get quite as much but the mid-level and younger players would benefit.

***** The game would be far more interesting when the haves simply cannot buy everything they want! ****

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The NFL uses a similar format ....99.99% of the time all of the players sign. It just needs to be constructed correctly