Marlins ( and now Phillies) season(s) on pause, O's to host Yankees on Wednesday and Thursday

MurphDogg

1 minute ago, backwardsk said:

Chapman is an alternative way of spelling Davidson.  Both Matts.

Ah, ok.  I thought you had gone back in time to when Aroldis Chapman came up with the Reds!  He's tested positive 

I just looked at the schedule on MLB.com, and the schedule is the original 2020 schedule so is no help. Are we planning on playing the Marlins again this season?

And if so, is it possible we could make up at least some of those games in subsequent series?

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I just looked at the schedule on MLB.com, and the schedule is the original 2020 schedule so is no help. Are we planning on playing the Marlins again this season?

And if so, is it possible we could make up at least some of those games in subsequent series?

No we are not. Interleague play is back-to-back home and home two game series, if I recall correctly. Miami in Baltimore on weds and Thursday was the last we are set to play them 

37 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Epidemiologists will always fall on the side of caution, but as Fauci even says - there’s a reason we don’t leave every decision to epidemiologists. There’s a myriad of interests that need to be considered and balanced. 

Ultimately I just don’t see it as the damning shot it seems to be presented as. 

There are team executives that agree that the Marlins shouldn't play, as quoted in this Athletic article (different article than the one I posted earlier).

One rival executive indicated the stability of the season might depend on the outcome of the Phillies’ tests. If there was no evidence of transmission onto their roster, the season could stay on the rails. But an expansion of the outbreak could derail the entire endeavor, leaving baseball commissioner Rob Manfred to decide whether the game will go on.

“I don’t think you can find a doctor who will say the Marlins can play in the next week,” the executive said. “It doesn’t matter if they have cleared tests. It can be incubating in their body for a few days before it will show up in a test.”

6 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Although I think the risks are many times greater to teammates infecting one another rather than infecting the other team, that doesn't mean I think the Marlins should play the Orioles.

If they play at all and there are one or two latent infected players, they could have a second outbreak rendering them unable to play for a much longer period of time.

Shutting down the Marlins for 5+ days seems to be the best plan for hoping to maintain a season.

Perhaps shifting another team's schedule to come to Baltimore on Wednesday and Thursday so two teams miss 2 games (the Orioles and the team the shifted team was supposed to play) rather than one team (the Orioles) missing 4 games. From a competitive balance standpoint, this would be logical, the Orioles get hosed missing out on playing a lousy team regardless. 

I think the batter and catcher and spend a lot of time together and so do the catcher and the umpire. I know it's open air but this virus is really contagious. I wouldn't want to be this close to someone who might have Covid-19.

13 hours ago, bobmc said:

Yep and so glad we rid ourselves of Villar's albatross of a salary @Roll Tide.  Dude hit worse than my freaking avatar this year.  This could be a non sequitur but I just had to troll the 'Bama fan!  ? And I "know" he really wanted this series to go back to non-stop pound us on Villar's greatness!  ⚾

8 million is hardly Albatross and he will actually get what about 40 percent? Are you really judging a 12 AB start?

I know your mostly joking but I hope Villar has a good year for them.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

8 million is hardly Albatross and he will actually get what about 40 percent? Are you really judging a 12 AB start?

I know your mostly joking but I hope Villar has a good year for them.

Yes, totally teasing.  I loved Villar but agreed with the decision as $8M pays for a lot of journeymen place-holders.  He was one of only a few bright spots last year.

14 hours ago, Philip said:

Good heavens, since when has slamming congressmen been political? That’s just a standard choice for similes that deal with incompetence. One of my favorite similes is “they are as [insert chosen adjective] as a congressional committee.”

That’s not politics, because it’s non-partisan.

And because the comment is non-partisan, everyone laughs, and no one disagrees, because that committee is full of “the other guys.”

Is "being political" only when one is partisan?  Is calling (in jest or otherwise) an entire government body "dumb as rocks" (60 IQ) non-political? I don't require a response as this is mostly rhetorical and I am now getting "noisy".  btw, my IQ barely reaches 100? and didn't laugh, so there is that.  I apologize for continuing the hijack of this factual thread but the caffeine has injected its expected high.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Philip said:

These are both very good points, but the fact is that right now the benefit of the business aspect is only to the owners and the players. the minor-league players and the towns that have those teams, aren’t getting anything, the concession workers aren’t getting anything, the local economy isn’t getting anything, The peanut makers and the hotdog sellers are actually having to pay money to destroy product(which I also find appalling) the  only people who are getting anything are the owners and the players.
So in that sense, yes you are correct but it doesn’t apply here. I am very much a laissez-faire guy, but the greed of the owners is appalling.
so your argument fails in this instance.

You are missing a lot of others dependent on MLB for a living. Locker Room attendants, Broadcast partners, all the people that sell advertising during the TV and radio broadcast, people who make their living off of writing about the games, all the sales assistants and production people who create the game highlights. The film guys and analysts for each team. The hundreds of people who work in the league and team offices. 

Sure the owners will be just fine. They could just shut down the league for good and be fine. Maybe a third of the players will never have to work again. But literally thousands of other people making less than 6 figures per year will be out of work. It's a big entertainment business. Do you think the only people making money off of Hollywood films are the actors? 

11 minutes ago, osfan83 said:

You are missing a lot of others dependent on MLB for a living. Locker Room attendants, Broadcast partners, all the people that sell advertising during the TV and radio broadcast, people who make their living off of writing about the games, all the sales assistants and production people who create the game highlights. The film guys and analysts for each team. The hundreds of people who work in the league and team offices. 

Sure the owners will be just fine. They could just shut down the league for good and be fine. Maybe a third of the players will never have to work again. But literally thousands of other people making less than 6 figures per year will be out of work. It's a big entertainment business. Do you think the only people making money off of Hollywood films are the actors? 

You are correct but the number of people who are working is such a small percentage of the total validates the point.