It's time for the OH to turn the page

wildcard

1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

It's worth pointing out if it hasn't been said yet: the 2019 Orioles went 11-8 from July 3 - July 27 and lost 108 games. The 2018 Orioles—and man is it hard to find any successful stretch from that team— went 9-7 from May 9 to May 25 and lost 115 games. 

The worst teams in baseball history can still post a winning record for a few weeks. The starting pitching on this team is still bottom of the barrel. 

I'm excited about the results so far, but less because of the record and more because the likes of Alberto, Nunez, Santander, & Means are showing that they probably aren't 1-year wonders as major league regulars. 

Both Jim Hunter and Mike Bordick pointed out the deep talent on this club and the negative impacts of luck and bad umpiring that made the final record misleading

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dreadnought said:

Both Jim Hunter and Mike Bordick pointed out the deep talent on this club and the negative impacts of luck and bad umpiring that made the final record misleading

Certainly should have at least a couple more wins in a fair world.

7 hours ago, beantownrefugee said:

I'm excited that the Orioles are NOT the team dropping infield pops, allowing a single to become an inside the park home run, and giving up tons of passed balls.

By August 31, if every game on the schedule is played (a big "if"), 35 out of 60 games would be played.  That should be enough to venture an educated guess of how the remainder might pan out.  I'm in the camp that can't-miss trade offers will not be coming. No guarantee this MLB season finishes, amplified by no agreement that the players will be in a bubble for the playoffs.

I'm with ya. Even during a normal season, Givens is the only guy that I think could possibly bring back an impact prospect. Possibly Cobb if he pitches well - but I think teams are going to be really financially cautious like every other business in the world right now.

If they are in contention August 31, personally, I'd like to avoid the George-Sherrill-esque trades. Steve Johnson delivered when they needed him in 2012, but overall, I much rather would have liked to see the Flat Breezy than the collective contributions of Josh Bell and Steve Johnson.

A prospect to me is someone who actually has a shot of making an impact. Not just any player under the age of 23.

9 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

It's worth pointing out if it hasn't been said yet: the 2019 Orioles went 11-8 from July 3 - July 27 and lost 108 games. The 2018 Orioles—and man is it hard to find any successful stretch from that team— went 9-7 from May 9 to May 25 and lost 115 games. 

The worst teams in baseball history can still post a winning record for a few weeks. The starting pitching on this team is still bottom of the barrel. 

I'm excited about the results so far, but less because of the record and more because the likes of Alberto, Nunez, Santander, & Means are showing that they probably aren't 1-year wonders as major league regulars. 

This is definitely a sobering post. You can never discount that this could just be the one solid 20 game stretch we’d have in a long season, and it just so happens that we had it in the first 20.

But, the longer we can keep it up, the more margin for error we give ourselves in the short season. I’d sign up for any sort of playoff baseball. Wasn’t expecting that for another 3-5 years. And still may not get it until then beside even if we do sustain it this year. 

Edited by Bubble Buddy
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

I'm with ya. Even during a normal season, Givens is the only guy that I think could possibly bring back an impact prospect. Possibly Cobb if he pitches well - but I think teams are going to be really financially cautious like every other business in the world right now.

If they are in contention August 31, personally, I'd like to avoid the George-Sherrill-esque trades. Steve Johnson delivered when they needed him in 2012, but overall, I much rather would have liked to see the Flat Breezy than the collective contributions of Josh Bell and Steve Johnson.

A prospect to me is someone who actually has a shot of making an impact. Not just any player under the age of 23.

Just because a guy doesn’t work out doesn’t make him a non-prospect retroactively. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bubble Buddy said:

This is definitely a sobering post. You can never discount that this could just be the one solid 20 game stretch we’d have in a long season, and it just so happens that we had it in the first 20.

The difference is, that hot stretch for those past clubs was the only winning they did all year. For the 2020 bunch, they've done nothing but win (if you're counting by batches of 17).

9 hours ago, now said:

The difference is, that hot stretch for those past clubs was the only winning they did all year. For the 2020 bunch, they've done nothing but win (if you're counting by batches of 17).

Yes, the first X games of the schedule are always overvalued because it's all we have.  We're forced to look at SSS noise and our brains believe it's real because there is nothing else current.