Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think if you've got a chance...albeit a small chance...to do what a handful of major league baseball players have done over the course of 150 years...you do it.  

I don’t think Markakis is wired that way.    He’s not going to choose between moving his young family around from year to year, or living apart from them 6 months out of the year.    This is a guy who took less money to stay in Atlanta because that’s what his kids wanted him to do.

Beyond that, his ability to get another 750 hits depends on him remaining a full-time player who plays almost every day from ages 35-39.   Nick is as consistent and durable as they come, but as a guy with relatively little power for an OF, he can’t afford much slippage in his other skills to be an everyday player.    

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think Markakis is wired that way.    He’s not going to choose between moving his young family around from year to year, or living apart from them 6 months out of the year.    This is a guy who took less money to stay in Atlanta because that’s what his kids wanted him to do.

Beyond that, his ability to get another 750 hits depends on him remaining a full-time player who plays almost every day from ages 35-39.   Nick is as consistent and durable as they come, but as a guy with relatively little power for an OF, he can’t afford much slippage in his other skills to be an everyday player.    

I don't think he's wired that way either, but he might surprise us.  Although I think you're right.  I'd love to see him do it, I know you would, too.

If he can maintain a .350 OBP and if the NL adopts the DH I think it increases his chances to stick around and do it.

Police are searching for the suspect who broke into veteran Braves right fielder Nick Markakis’ Buckhead home and stole five firearms and $20,000 cash.

On March 29 just after 11 p.m., officers responded to Markakis’ house off Wieuca Road after receiving a call that someone was in the home, according to an Atlanta police report obtained by AJC.com.

A front window had been broken into and the front door was open when officers arrived, the report said. A neighbor had called Markakis and then handed the cellphone to officers so he could speak to them.

A safe in the master bedroom closet had been stolen, which Markakis told police had $20,000 cash, an AR-15 rifle, three 9 mm handguns and a Breitling watch inside. Another firearm in a basement bedroom was also stolen, according to the report. 

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/guns-20k-stolen-from-braves-outfielder-atlanta-home/qADNVZIZS2uWFZNJK74iqI/?ecmp=intown&utm_medium=social&utm_source=intown_tw

• Thanks 1

Great job by @Enjoy Terror on digging up all that information on past players (though I don't understand what the number before the player means).

Good to see Rosa still making money. I really wish the Orioles would have brought him up in September for cu p of coffee after so many years in the minors with them. It's an injustice that When Carlos Casimiro has major league at bats but Rosa won't.

As for Jones, Arizona is a great place to hit and combined with the chip on his shoulder and fresh start, I'm not surprised he's off to a great start in a new league known more for fastballs than sliders away.

Markakis is just a professional hitter.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Maybe I’m weird but I don’t keep cash in my house. Is that weird?

I also don't keep an AR-15 and 3 handguns in my house.  Seems that much cash and guns would not be representative of too many people besides drug dealers. 

• Downvote 3

29 minutes ago, atomic said:

I also don't keep an AR-15 and 3 handguns in my house.  Seems that much cash and guns would not be representative of too many people besides drug dealers. 

You are totally out of touch with about 50% of America.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think he's wired that way either, but he might surprise us.  Although I think you're right.  I'd love to see him do it, I know you would, too.

If he can maintain a .350 OBP and if the NL adopts the DH I think it increases his chances to stick around and do it.

I think that he'd be better off in a non-DH league, where he could platoon and hang around as a pinch hitter for the pitcher's slot until he's 43.  DHs are generally expected to hit.  A DH with Markakis' career OPS is not a good DH.  And he almost certainly won't have his career OPS at 38 or 40.

Nick is in a tough spot.  He can't really slide down the defensive spectrum because DH and 1B are expected to hit.  And it's hard seeing him as a defensive asset in RF in 2-3 years. Maybe he'll continue to do what he's always done and be a average+ RF forever.

1 hour ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Maybe I’m weird but I don’t keep cash in my house. Is that weird?

I think I have about $30 in my house, not counting the jar of foreign money I didn't get around to spending on trips, and the Eagle Scout plaque that has a 50-cent piece for each merit badge. 

I have a former co-worker who seemed astonished that everyone didn't have $75 grand in their mattress.  What are you going to do when society crumbles and credit cards and ATMs don't work anymore, and the internet has evaporated?