Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

Former Orioles farmhand Brenan Hanifee made his major league debut with the Tigers yesterday, allowing 3 runs in 2 IP in an 8-3 win over Oakland.  Hanifee, our 2016 4th rounder, missed 2021 with TJ surgery and was released by the Orioles in 2022.   Detroit picked him up this season and he posted a 4.38 ERA in 90.1 innings for AAA Toledo.  I always liked Hanifee and am glad to see him get his cup of coffee.  

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2023/09/22/detroit-tigers-pitcher-brenan-hanifee-makes-mlb-debut-bullpen/70925497007/

• 2 weeks later...

Dwight Gooden's 1983 is one of my favorite minor league stat lines ever, and just keeps getting better with age given what pitching has become, and today I learned he had Randy Milligan as a teammate and Sam Perlozzo as his manager that year.

https://www.milb.com/news/dwight-gooden-recalls-historic-1983-season-in-lynchburg

The story also had a new to me detail it still didn't get the Mets minor league record because of 1966 Nolan Ryan.     Ryan somehow lasted to the 12th round of the 1965 draft.

On 10/7/2023 at 6:59 PM, Just Regular said:

Dwight Gooden's 1983 is one of my favorite minor league stat lines ever, and just keeps getting better with age given what pitching has become, and today I learned he had Randy Milligan as a teammate and Sam Perlozzo as his manager that year.

https://www.milb.com/news/dwight-gooden-recalls-historic-1983-season-in-lynchburg

The story also had a new to me detail it still didn't get the Mets minor league record because of 1966 Nolan Ryan.     Ryan somehow lasted to the 12th round of the 1965 draft.

My freshman year at VT, and back in those pre-cable days when you only got network TV, the stations that serviced Blacksburg were from Roanoke and Lynchburg.   The nights he pitched for Lynchburg it was the lead sports story on the 11:00 news.   It was quite a phenomenon.

23 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Rockies outright Wynns off their 40 man roster.

Not the best season at the plate, but did exceptionally well behind it. Didn't realize it, but he was second in all of MLB for "caught stealing" percentage at 42%.

Wynns seems like one of these guys who will always be able to find an organization that wants him.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Saw where Ryan Flaherty will interview for the Padres manager position.

Life comes at you fast.

And Bob Melvin sounds like getting the Giants job.

I guess Peter Seidler is sticking with AJ Preller.      The 2023 sum was so much less than the individual parts - I heard a few pundits guessing some dissonance among the big pieces must exist.

Bob Melvin, Fernando Tatis, Ha-Seong Kim, Josh Hader, Juan Soto, Blake Snell, Xander Bogaerts, Yu Darvish, Manny Machado feels like a notably eclectic mix, even given that many of the best Clubs in the world are dynamic multi-national workplaces.      I'd guess Flaherty is Machado's guy, though if Buck became a candidate there, that might be a fun compare/contrast.